Appreciation: A world of cherry blossoms

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Acerholic, May 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Very pretty Xi. There was a Prunus 'Little Pink Perfection' going around the UK many years back. I still believe it sells now. It could be this one.

Xi-feng likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

'Kiku-shidare-zakura' - chrysanthemum-flowered weeping cherry.
    It's not known to be vigorous or healthy in the Vancouver area - nice that you're doing so well with it.

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

This is one of my Cherry trees, Prunus 'Amanogawa'. Taken a few minutes ago in 21°c Spring afternoon here in Southern England.
    Prunus Amanagowa April 15th 2022 (2).JPG Prunus Amanagowa April 15th 2022 (3).JPG Prunus Amanagowa April 15th 2022.JPG
    At least I got the name right on this one......

4. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Aha, interesting - thank you both so much! To my untrained eye it looks like it could very much be either of those - certainly it likes the UK climate and/or the copious neglect I give it every year!

5. wcutler

Too many petals, and very small ones, for 'Little Pink Perfection', and I don't see that LPP is a weeping tree.

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

One I saw last Monday :

IMG_0200-sm.jpg IMG_0201-sm.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

8. AlainK

So do I, and a camera with which you can zoom in is very useful when the label is too far to be read without trampling on the other plants... ;-)

9. wcutler

That name in the photo is not going to show up in this thread unless you put in the text. So I will. The label says:
    Prunus serrulata 'New Red'.
    I assume the serrulata is incorrect, as these are all hybrids, so should be called Prunus 'New Red'.
    But Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan' (='New Red') - River Nurseries (pepinieresdelariviere.fr) shows 'Kanzan' as "Also known as 'New Red'. "
    Another page does call it PRUNUS NEW RED KANZAN / CERISIER DU JAPON A FLEURS NEW RED KANZAN - LES ARBRES D'ORNEMENT - LES ARBRES D'ORNEMENT - Les Pépinières de Marnay (70) - Bourgogne Franche-Comté (pepinieres-marnay.com)
    Our Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver book uses the name Prunus Sato-zakura Group 'Kanzan'.
    I don't know the status of this 'New Red' name. Maybe it's used for a particular 'Kanzan' clone?

AlainK likes this.
  10. AlainK

I'm impressed by your knowledge about Prunus, really.
    Thanks for the info.
    .. or as it can often happen for maples, a synonym used in a different country. Anyway, the photo was taken against the sun, and the top of the tree was really shining.
    There, in "le Parc Floral", they have a collection of irises : I'll post photos in a few weeks. I attend a course for retired peole about "soils" at the university, in a building that is just oppoite the entrance to the park. And I bought a year-round ticket, so I can go after 15:30 for a walk there.

Isn't life beautiful for boomers like me ?... ;°)