Wildflowers: a tough one ~ Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Grooonx7, May 25, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

This one might be a native wildflower in Costa Rica, where I saw it often.

But it's a complete mystery to me.

Thanks for an ID if you can.

Attached Files:

2. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Not such a tough one, it's a creeper that's widely planted around the world in warm climates, namely Pyrostegia venusta.

3. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Well, Tony, thank you.

That had been a mystery plant for me for some time. I think I first saw it as an escapee in Costa Rican forests, where it climbs trees and looks like exotic tree-blossoms. That fooled me. Later I saw it growing decoratively on Costa Rican garden walls—actually in some very money-poor little places—and I was surprised this "jungle denizen" would have a home in town.

So I was really quite baffled. Now that I have the name, I can easily find out more. (And I have photos to label.)

It turns out we're neighbours. You live just across the water from me. —er, that is, 7800 miles of water.

Thanks again.

4. Tony Rodd

Tony Rodd Active Member

Have a look at its Tropicos page - http://www.tropicos.org/NamePage.aspx?nameid=3700580&tab=specimens (plus succeeding pages)

Looks like its native range is probably Bolivia-Paraguay-Argentine-S&C Brazil. Records from elsewhere in the American tropics probably represent cultivated plants. Even here in Sydney at 34 South it's a popular ornamerntal.

5. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Tropicos gives me a whole new site, now duly bookmarked.

I've studied mainly birds for the past, um, 53+ years. There are only 10,000 species worldwide. My botany friends tell me, "Yes, but birds don't hold still." But I feel overwhelmed (especially in the tropics) by the sheer number of plant species, and the sheer magnitude of my ignorance in what I really need to know: a perspective on ecological plant communities.

There are courses, but everything I do, including travelling, has to be done for free or almost-free. My plane fare is the most expensive part of my trips (—as it is to the planet, too).

Years ago, working in the Rocky Mountains, I had a good basic understanding of the botanic communities, and I could identify their basic representatives. In Costa Rica, I rarely know what kind of tree a bird is in, or what flowers it may be eating. So I just enjoy myself with what I see and learn.

Thanks very much again.

Last edited: May 26, 2013