A thread for hot pepper-a-holics...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Aug 16, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thats a cool looking pepper too Sherry.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Thanks, Penny! Yes, it is a nice one.

Room, you ask, ShearMe?...

Never a problem. My apartment is lined with south and east windows, Plus I have two grow lights, not to mention access to many outdoor patio spots as well as several gardens, a bright foyer, and a huge laundry room window. Room is never an issue for me.

I also sometimes grow hot peppers in small pots too, so they don't take up much room, but I can get a look at what they're like and collect some more seeds from the fruits.

I do intend on keeping most of the hot pepper varieties mentioned in this thread, indoors with me! My apartment windows will be so pretty with tons of colored peppers everywhere!

What type is that, ShearMe? Not Gypsy? Looking good, whatever it is. Are ya fertilizing?

: )

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Why would I fertilize a pepper plant in hydroponics?! :P

I believe it to be gypsy, but your guess is as good as mine.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Hydroponic plants still uptake lots of nutrients - do they not? Didn't realize it was a hydroponic plant I guess.

No pollination is necessary for capsicum plants - they are self-pollinating!

: O

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, they take up nutrients, but all the nutrients they'd ever need are there in the water. I do have to change th nutrient solution every once in awhile, but I don't use "fertilizer." :P

Are you sure? I believe them to be self fertile, not self pollinating, and thus I must become the bee, butterfly and the wind all with my little brush.

6. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

When peppers are grown outside and they do get pollinated, the fruits tend to be a bit larger than indoors - this is really the only noticeable difference though.

Yahoooooo, my Fluorescent Purple Pepper, and my Purple Tiger seeds are popping tonight! Every pepper variety I sowed is nearly up - except for the ones I planted last night.

This is just too fun. I can't wait to compare all the seedlings and check out the differences in colors, shapes, and heat. Gonna collect lots of seeds too, so I can share with people.

Attached Files:

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Am I sure?!!!

I've been growing peppers indoors for years, and have never had to take a brush to them even once. Melons would be a different story though, and would definitely require hand-pollination to get fruits indoors.

I didn't realize at 1st that your pepper was being hydroponically grown - just wanted to make sure it had nutrients whatever way it it being raised. Low light will cause less blossoms as well. Peppers love full-sun!

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Interesting News...

I joined another forum for hot pepper lovers and showed pics like I did in this thread of my mystery pepper plant and it's fruits. I am told it is a cross of purple cayenne and jalapeno! Wow!!!

9. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Oh wow really, thats kind of cool huh.
    At least now you know what it is.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, it is pretty cool, Penny! I am calling them my 'Purple Cayenne Jalapenos'!!!

I can include some seeds for you when I mail to ya again soon. If you want, Penny, I can mail some seeds to you now - like the fluorescent purple and others, but then I will mail to you again in the Fall after I've harvested lots more seeds.

I intend on sharing many great varieties with you that I am sure you'll love. Would you like a few extra 'black pearl' seeds, now that I have lots from that lady as well? I have the stuff that you want wrote down so I wouldn't forget - the blue cornflowers as well, for you and Katalina. I wondered if you were interested in pepper joe's paprika seeds also?...

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Sure that would be great Sherry, i have an ever growing list of stuff to send to you as well.

I will be in London twice next week, i could mail it then and you'd have it in no time!!!!!

12. The Hollyberry Lady

That would be awesome, Penny! I am going to get your stuff ready today.

I will try to include as many hot pepper varieties as I can for now, but more will come later when I collect seeds.

Things are going to be mighty colorful around here over Fall and Winter! I am even doing an experiment right now...

Trying to mix the pollen from 2 different indoor pepper varieties to see if I can come up with a cool new type!

I won't know if it worked until I sow the seeds from within the fruits, but I love to experiment and see what might happen. It should be interesting.

Looking very forward to Blake's 'Chilly Chili' seeds. What a pretty variety it is as well. I am going to grow a few of those over Fall and Winter too.

Is anyone else planning to grow some inside over the colder months?

13. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I am hoping too, i have a couple of plants that i want to bring inside and try and overwinter, and i want to start a couple plants later on this year too.

I'll be in London on Monday and next Saturday.....so i can mail some things then.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, thanks Penny!

Great that you are going to grow some over winter too! I love having colorful peppers in my windows when it's snowing outside.

Have a safe trip to London, Penny.

15. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Sorry to doubt you! :o

You should report your hybrid pepper and claim the name as your own! I've seen sites dedicated to hybrids of passion fruit and peonies so no doubt there's one for peppers. :)

16. The Hollyberry Lady

No problem about the doubt, Zac. Sometimes we just have to grasp things for ourselves before we are fully convinced.

I wouldn't steer ya wrong though - if there's one thing I know how to grow, it's peppers. I love your idea about reporting it as my own special hybrid!

Here's some shots of my indoor Medusa today - not too shabby for growing in a half sunny window. Full sun would have made the plant produce way more fruits however...

Attached Files:

17. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I don't know what it is, but the pepper plant in my hydroponics system doesn't seem to want to produce fruit. My one little pepper hasn't grown in weeks!

I think the light just isn't strong enough; I should get a hotter lamp.

18. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I love that Medusa plant Sherry.........very cute.

I had a plant like that too ShearMe, and just today i finally noticed some fruit on it, so fingers crossed that my Carribean Red does well.

19. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

The signature budgie in Hollyberry's first post reminded me that peppers are a goodie for some parrots.

We just have conures now, and I'm not sure if they would like them. They do like bits of pepper jack cheese though.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Can ya show me a shot of it, Zac?

Peppers do need strong light to produce a crop but you should have some blossoms. Do blossoms appear but then fall off, or has the plant never produced blossoms ever? How old is this plant? Does it appear to be growing - foliage wise?

21. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

I am sure your banana is lovely, Zac - I am not comparing. I will love yours just as much, and it will be so great to have a few different varieties! When I get pups on my Siam Ruby Zac - guess who will be getting one?!!!

Yes, M. D. Vaden, my budgie loves spicy pasta and hamburger meat. When I make spicy chicken even, he goes nuts. I was told that birds do eat hot pepper seeds and they don't feel the heat like we do! Don't know if it's true, but my little Henry sure doesn't mind it.

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

There are many blossoms on the pepper plant, but they do fall off too frequently.

To kind about the siam ruby, it's one plant I'd most likely die to have. :)

23. The Hollyberry Lady

So you have blossoms on your pepper plant - excellent! I thought you meant that you had none. If there's blossoms present then what's the problem exactly?...

24. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

The very first pup I get on my Siam Ruby is yours, Zac!

I knew you would love it. I am just dying to receive it. I have a great big pot all ready for it. I am told I can keep it in a sunny window over winter, and it will likely send up a couple pups in the Spring. I will mail your pup to you, at the first of Spring, so you can get it going early.

Bob tells me that Siam Ruby is only that intense red color when it is given lots of sunshine. In the winter indoors, the leaves turn a very light pastel red, and not the vibrant rich red you'll see in Summer. This doesn't bother me a bit - it will make me appreciate the deep red color more, when I don't get to see it 12 months of the year and take it for granted.

I know what you mean Zac, about dying to have it. When I googled it to see a picture, I nearly burst with joy! I just could not believe my eyes. Bob is just way too nice, and knew that I was after a red banana plant.

Anyway, I will show pics as soon as it arrives. It was mailed last Monday morning, so it should be here next week. No one knows how excited I am.

Not to worry about how your plant looks when it arrives Zac. When I received my basjoo plants they were nothing but ugly stumps! They quickly grew into gorgeous specimens though, and I was shocked that something so ugly could turn into something so beautiful, so quickly too! Wow!

25. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Thank you so much. :D