A surprise 'double'...

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 25, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

To go along with a recent post I made about a new stinkhorn species being found.......
    In a compost area in the woods I often hike threw...I've kept an eye waiting for our local variety of stinkhorn, Mutinus caninus, to pop up as I've seen them in this location the last year.
    I was 'blessed' to find at one point over 17 in this 8ft x 4ft area with several eggs still waiting to errupt. A fascinating site. Then I noticed this odd 'pair'. Does anyone know if it's common to see 2 horns arise from 1 egg? I did not collect any part of it as I was in a hurry to put on a photo show at our local Myco meeting but got a couple quick snap shots to show what I found. The longer one measured at 8 1/2 inches...longer then most I've seen here. The smell in this area was akin to rotting mushrooms...not meat!
    My son said it was over-whelming to HIS nose so I allowed him to back off a bit while I photographed these.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Michael Kuo cracks me up...the last image on there with the 'gift' was funny. The very first with the lizard was great too.
    Interesting how some will be double-headed...some just growing in masses.......
    Thanx for the link Michael F!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

And that 6th pic down . . . is it natural, or staged??

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

My opinion would be 'staged'? But I've also seen that photo floating around the net on other pages as well so at this point we'll probably never know.
    When I got the info of the new stinkhorn discovery there in Africa photo#6 kept popping up (no..er...pun in there intended?).

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I only ever found on stinkhorn. For several years I carried a rubber topped bottle hoping to find another so I could capture the tremendous over-powering odor.

I can't imagine anything having such a repulsive odor. Dracunulus vulgaris has the odor of a high priced perfume in comparison

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Plants tend to smell worse to me then fungi? So I'm a horrible person to state that I didnt' find these terribly odorific. :o)
    If someone walks by me with cologne or perfume I tend to want to gag...however? If I'm out in the woods and smell wild mushrooms it's almost an aphrodisiac for me. My smoking fellow mushroom hunters often are jealous as I can smell what they can't when we're hunting on forays.
    These stinkhorns from what I understand though are pretty mild in odor...especially when one compairs it to a Corpse Flower....which I hope to never smell...but would LOVE to see.