A. platanoides 'Maculatum'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, May 25, 2007.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

New to the garden this year is what purports to be A. platanoides Maculatum. The tree is quite different from any pictures I have seen of it. Reminds me of another platanoides cultivar, but I can't lay my finger on it. (May be confusing with something else, of course).

I wonder if anyone can confirm, or deny, that this is true to name?

Here are a few pictures of the leaves. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Emery,
    Looks an interesting tree,I've looked it up in Antoine Le Hardy's book An Illustrated Guide to Maples,and it looks more like A.Platanoides Heterophyllum Variegatum, than Maculatum to me, though I could be wrong, what size are the leaves, Heterophyllum originates in France, that made me think it might be that one.
    But certainly an unique maple.

Was it a chance seedling, hope you solve it.

Ashizuru

3. emery

Hi Ashizuru,

The leaves are about 3 - 3 1/2 inches across. It does have some affinity with Heterophyllum, but the margins are much larger and I see no orange spots.

The source is Esveld, but it doesn't correspond to the picture on their site, nor any other Maculatum picture I've seen.

Thought I'd check it out here before contacting them. There is another tree from my last fall's order that is not true already. That one was supposed to be A. pictum Okomatoanum, but is actually A. longipes ssp amplum Gold Coin.

Esveld will replace any tree that is not true to name, but since I don't know Maculatum I don't like to ask if not sure.

-E

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Emery I have Drummondii and Maculatum (I order Walderseei for autum) for me is the first ; I have also pictum Okomotoanum and longipes Gold coin but the leaves are different .alex

5. alex66

Emery a good pic of Okomotoanum is in the site "the maple"(links of UBC)However your tree Maculatum or no have a beauiful variegated leaves!

6. emery

Hi Alex,

You're saying you think it's a Drummondii? I don't think so, I have that cultivar; the colours are much different (even given different light and soil spot) and there is no leaf distortion.

Can you post a picture of your Maculatum? If you got it from Esveld you are in a good position to say whether mine is true or not.

My "Okomatoanum" definitely is not true, I have seen many pictures of the species. The leaves are wrong shape and colour, bark striped like young longipes, leafed out very yellow and now practically white with sun burn. If it lives I will move to a shady spot

-E

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks diseased to me. I'd get rid of it. Unless you want to send it to those (mainly in North America) for whom Acer platanoides is an unwelcome invasive weed, in the hope that it'll start a form of biological control for it.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it's dreadful but that wasn't the question. The only maple picture book I have here is MAPLES FOR GARDENS, they do not show anything like yours. They do show a completely different 'Maculatum', a normally formed leaf with pale spotting (looking quite as though infested with mites or insects). Maculatus means spotted or blotched so that is not unexpected. They also show 'Walderseei' with a normally shaped, dotted and speckled leaf.

9. emery

Actually the overall aspect is not unattractive, although this sort of variegation and leaf crimping -- which shows up in some platanoides cultivars, e.g. Dilaceratum -- is not really something I'd seek out. Some of the fasciated plants I find quite monstrous and repellent.

Still, different strokes and all that. A larger palate of leaf shapes and shades of green is valuable when one has a large garden. As a maple collector I certainly don't plan to "get rid of it" nor any other different and apparently healthy maple I can grow!

I posted the question because I have all the usual suspect books, and it doesn't resemble the pictures of maculatum I've seen. So I hope that someone else growing the cultivar will be able to confirm.

-E

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  10. alex66

hi this are a pics of my plata. Drummondii for Maculatum next week(I have the pics in another film ,i have a manual camera!)alex

Attached Files:

11. alex66

oh i reply after 3 weeks because i change my camera (i bouth digital sigh!!,for me manual is best but for on line digital is easy to use)no good news i thing that my small Maculatum is revert ....

Attached Files: