Identification: A plant 7 feet tall with big leaves and sick

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by George P, Dec 21, 2012.

1. George P

George P Member

Hello,

my aunt decided to get rid of the plant that you can see in the attachments - around 7 feet tall, big leaves (up to 16 inches), the trunk consists of č thinner trunks (I do not know if it is 4 plants or one with multiple trunks). So that she does not throw it away, I decided to take it, however after a couple of months the leaves started turning brown and falling off. I am really worried about the plant, unfortunately I am not able to identify it, hence can't find out what is wrong - if it has insufficient light, too much water, too little water or if the leaves falling off are in fact alright (I assume this is not the case).
    I attached a picture of the plant itself, one healthy leave (I guess it will be the best way to identify the plant) and I leave turning brown.

Any help will be very appreciated, I am really worried about the plant.

George Plant.jpg

Leaf.jpg

Ill leaf.jpg

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Ficus lyrata, Fiddle-Leaf Fig.

3. George P

George P Member

Yes, that's it. Thank you a lot, jungekeeper!

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Some ideas: does the plant get more sun on it than it did at your aunt's place? Is it colder at your place than it was at your aunt's place? And have you checked to see if there's room in that pot for the roots to grow, or is it all roots now and would they like a larger pot?

It doesn't look all that bad if that's a recent photo. The newer leaves look good. It's going to lose some of the oldest leaves no matter what.