A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I would love to overwinter a cherry tomato plant, but i simply dont have the room for one.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

No matter what, there can never be enough! I always tell myself in Autumn that I'll spread it out over winter, but end up eating it all rather quickly because it too damn delicious!

: )

3. The Hollyberry Lady

To add...

I will send you a dwarf type later Penny, that will produce over winter indoors, if you've got a sunny window. It only gets about a foot tall and gives many delicious little cherry fruits!

4. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

That would be great, thanks Sherry......i am doing up some seeds this afternoon and there is an envelope on my kicthen table with your name..... :)

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Speaking of waxing I have 2 apples left in a container that I forgot. They look like egyptian mummies very well preserved. They have just been in ordinary room temp very high quiet low for about 2 months.

Liz

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Eeek. That's more than a little freaky, Liz.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Sounds like a science project, Liz!!

: o

8. Liz

No. Bad house keeping. There is also a lemon that came from my tree that went down behind some timber stacked in the corner of the front room. Probably find it has grown some interesting stuff when the kids finaly get to finishing off the converson. I have upstairs, daughter and husband down stairs and son a bungalow down the garden near my work room. There is still a lot to be finished. They are also doing some replanting. Just hope they get to the blakberries before they take over again. Recent rain has really got them going again.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

That's one thing I love...blackberries. Mmmmmm! Any berry, really.

One day I will have an intercropped berry patch...with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and goji berries.

10. Nath

Nath Active Member

HBL I like to grow the more unusual varieties of veggies too, but to us that means growing the veg we have in Mexico that is a bit different here in the UK, Mexican Plum tomatoes for example that you just can't get here, Nopal Cactus for eating the leaves very nutricious and white onion again a rare find in this country, plate maize from the Americas. Acelga which is a type of spinach but much tastier than UK spinach. Thats just to name a few and then of course the many varieties of chillies and peppers that are essential to Mexican cooking. Even the coriander is different. I came back with a suitcase full of seed packets this time so I can't wait for walmer weather to get it all growing.

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Good for you, Nath...I am looking so forward to sprouting many more seeds too.

You and I must arrange a trade someday soon...

12. lorax

Nath - Acelga is Swiss Chard (at least, that's what I'm given at market when I ask for Acelga). You should be able to grow that in the UK!

13. Nath

Nath Active Member

Beth,

Grow it? Its like growing Papaya without pinching out the seed stems it grows everywhere if you let it, I'm not a vegetarian anymore going home to Mexico cured me of that but Acelga wrapped around Bacon in 5 chile sauce is just incredible or if mixed wih Papaya and Serrano suace is just to die for, you have to try it, the acelga pulls the salt taste and the chile taste and the sweet papaya taste from whatever it touches and it gives you similar quantities of iron to espinaca tambien.

I want to go home but my wife still has to pay back a year to the UK goverment for her Masters degree. I'm suffering in not so much silence but I miss my healthy food! I miss going around the corner on a Friday and buying 10 Kilos of oranges or grapefruit for less than a dollar o a Massive Papaya for a few cents or all the chiles under the sun for centavos, I miss being warm in January and the smell of the coconuts when you have a norther on the gulf of Mexico! I keep telling myself one more year!!!

Anyhow I will be growing lots of Acelga this year, con cilantro,Chile Habanero, Remolache, Cebolla blanco, epazote(Sabes lo que es esto en Ingles? Muchos personas aqui quieren saber pero no tengo idea.)

Y por supuestomis Papayas, Platanos y Palmeras.

Sorry for the rant but after 3 weeks back in England I am so homesick I could scream!!

My garden is my consolation and I have my Royal Burgandy Cherry to watch this year to see how it fruits, I couldnt do that back home could I?

But I cant pick Mangoes, Limes and Papayas from the trees in my garden here in England either.

One year more here we go I'm ready and I will post pictures as I go along with fortitude!

Natan

14. lorax

And here I'm addicted to Sopa de Habas y Acelga, a thick cream soup made with it. A dash of Aji and it's soooo good. Then again, I'm fond of Acelga in any presentation; the best thing here I've had was a whole fish steamed inside Acelga leaves with palmitos and mashed chontaduro and a touch of garlic. Yummm.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I finally broke down and bought myslf a 'money tree' yesterday (Pachira Aquatica). I've always liked the look of them, and thought it was time I had one.

Although a little discolored on a few of the leaves from the cold trip home, it's doing quite well, and seems to be enjoying it's new home.

Still waiting for it to produce money...

Attached Files:

16. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    So its Saturday morning and we have nothing planned the weather is grim wet rainy ( or not , if your lucky and in Ecuador :-) and you want to improve your health.
    Well here I got an assignment for YOUR healthy thoughts passed on by a very healthy spinning, pilating, yoga friend of mine well over 50 looking ravishing. Good with my daily two soup spon against temporary high blood with the organic apple cider vinegar pressure AND maybe some of your kidney screaming for help.
    It comes straight from the garden, is pretty and green and will DO YOU ALL NOTHING BUT GOOD I am told so here I pass it on, so here I do say: CLEAN YOUR KIDNEYS
    Years pass by and our kidneys are filtering the blood by removing salt, poison and any unwanted entering our body. With time, the salt accumulates and this needs to undergo cleaning treatments and how are we going to overcome this? It is very easy, first take a bunch of parsley and wash it clean. Then cut it in small pieces and put it in a pot and pour clean water and boil it for ten minutes and let it cool down and then filter it and pour in a clean bottle and keep it inside refrigerator to cool. Drink one glass daily and you will notice all salt and other accumulated poison coming out of your kidney by urination also you will be able to notice the difference which you never felt before.
    Best of luck to all our gardening friends health out there. OH I might as well add a pretty picture :-) Parsley is known as best cleaning treatment for kidneys and it is natural!

PS: Do you think the vertical way as showing in this pic would be OK to grow lettuce and tomatoes ? would the tomatoes really hang like in the 29.99 Topsy Turby plasti tomato growing method shown on TV. It would be much nicer and more natural and hey all my garden fence could be turned into a garden!!

The two other pics are Vancouver Olympic walk about where one sees more 9 feet steel fences than anything else. A tram from Brussels Belgium (where they use trams for an eternity ) to test here for 60days ONLY to see if people like it ..and a shot from an Canadian technology event in a gallery that was quite "green" as such with all the lovely ply wood paneling ( made from Borneo , Sumatra or Chinese trees ) I guess Looks good! I must admit! But how "gree" is this to display a few things that are all made of plastic and metal hanging on steel wire???
    And to those who like to listen to "really good " WORLD MUSIC its time to listen tomorrow Sunday to http://www.kayafm.co.za/latest/stream/ Nicky Blumenfeld direct from South Africa! Experience it, it goes well with gardening !

Here a few more shots like the beauty of Macro Cabbage:-)
    That " best friend Focacca" before hitting the oven , the "so in love spooning" pets
    Linux and Chanel :-)
    A and few shots of the ONLY view of the world famous CANADA place that now the whole world is coming to see that will be 100% of the public as well as its favorite perspective photo place on BOTH sides... and the brand new billion $ Convention center that is being wrapped up in a company that must have gotten some handsome FAT orders for chicken wire STEEL MESH (not the one we use to grow our vines on) One lovely Native carving inside a stump of tree and one at Grandvilla Island in a pavillion someone is working on ( note) behind a mesh also.. god we could be talking and asking questions, my god that would be too much to have human contact. And one is a new type of applied plastic film that looks like painting that are put up at Robson place access stairs. Quite interesting at least something to cover the basic concrete.
    Basically the two most splendid Water Front buildings have been stricken off the map for once the whole world will have their eyes and feet on this city. LUDICROUS.!!!!
    What a shame. Anyway sadly ( for Nature ) it looks as we will be able to call these the "GREENHOUSE GAZ OLYMPICS" the temperature is more like April !

Attached Files:

17. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)

We get a fair deal of dandelions also I sort of let them grow in one area and use the young leafes in the salad. I also grow Comfrey as its green and fast . But HOW TO USE IT ( been told its good ...but 4 what ? ) But I did put it in eareas where they cant compete as I am told they can kill all around them. and ONE plant is in a big pot i love the velvety feel of the leaves. First I thought it was the camfor my granny used to rub the alcohol on her arthritis legs but I don't think its the same.
    Enlighten me please.

18. lorax

Comfrey: the flowers are excellent as a nerve tonic tea (although the FDA warns against internal use, as it can cause hepatic toxicity), and the leaves are used in cold poultices to draw out splinters and suchwhat and to speed healing, as well as in hot compresses to releive rheumatism and alleviate all manner of pain-type complaints.

At least, that's how my family uses it.

19. Liz

Also is this the one they use as a compress for broken bones???

Liz

20. Nath

Nath Active Member

Vic Comfrey is also called Knitbone, we used to use it on our horses when they broke a leg and the vets wanted to put them down but, we wanted to save the horse as I for one hate the needless killing of animals when there are natural alternatives. Simmer the leave don't bring them to the boil or you'll destroy their properties, put the liquid to one side. Then make a compress out of the leaves and wrap it around the broken leg, arm or whatever and bandage. Do that daily, I broke my ankle playing tennis and was back running in 3 weeks, all be it gingerly don't put it in plaster if you don't want to atrophy.

Drink the tea as its cleans out all the impurities from your blood stream you may break out in spots for a day or two but thats just a good sign that all of the rubbish is being flushed out.

I was intrigued to read about your parsley remedy, is that the Parsley that looks a little like large coriander (We call it Perejil Liso in Spanish I don't know the proper name in English) or is it the stubby type that grows a bit like Broccoli? Or deosnt it matter?

Like the fotos too by the way.

Beth you have got me salivating as my favourite soup is crema de acelga con un poco de limon o parcelas de acelga con tocino con slasa Cholula. I saw I have some acelga growing wild in the garden yesterday so I will pick the leaves when they are big enough, the seed must have spread last year somehow. I brought a few packets back with me to sow in any case.

I couldnt believe it yesterday, I bought a Fig Tree that I found for just £4 in Wilkos a bargain! And its all in bud too can't wait forr it to grow!

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Congrats on your new Fig tree, Nath!

Here's my "Negronne" Fig cutting, beginning to sprout some top growth after three months in a glass of water...

Attached Files:

22. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes,
    An elder friend and I were talking about the lack of appearance of seasons at the grocery stores and how those red things, either tomatoes or strawberries taste like styro and nothing like what our own locale provides us in season.

And we don't see where the pricey, 5 x as much as a regular imported mango, tastes any better tho they look absolutely gorgeous.

After not liking the taste of tinned fruit anymore I started canning again, once retired, and do prefer it too over the imports of winter which seem now to be grown solely for their ability to ship well over the qualities customers prefer such as vitamin content and flavour.

I always think too, that in places with the temps of Mexico and other such climes, that they have more predatious pests and need to spray to control these, much as our green houses need to in those ideal conditions which grow insects well, as well as plants. Meaning that most of what is imported from warmer places has a greater chance of carrying more pesticides into our kitchens as well as the fungicides used to preserve shipments of soft fruits from mold enroute.
    And I have heard too, from a lab worker who did testing, that most imported produce has pesticide residues.

I am happy to live where I do, without sickening mosquitoes, poisonous snakes, toxic plants and with a stable government all the time.
    When I was 16 I heard someone describe the Rockies and I had to go see.
    If I had heard Lorax's descriptions when I was younger I likely would have headed south rather than west! But now that I am older and still get power surges, slightly cooler temps suit me best.
    A foggy day it was yesterday. First real one this warm winter season courtesy of El Nino, thks :))

D

23. lorax

Nath - Epazote is Dysphania ambroisoides. It's called Jesuit's Tea in English, and I'm rather intrigued to find it's related to Quinoa (my local grain of choice).

Wikipedia Entry

24. The Hollyberry Lady

I hear ya Dana...yuck!

By the way...it's -9°C here today...15°F!!!

I'm staying home, cooking a roast chicken.

Sorry to interrupt, but I do like to show plant pics in this thread...

Here's my 2 rooted "devil's backbone" (Kalanchoe Daigremontiana) cuttings today - sent to me from a gardener in the States...

Attached Files:

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Tugrul, my Turkish friend...

Here's your cutting, that has taken root for me...

P.S. Can't wait to see your lotus plants in Spring!!!

Attached Files: