A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Put shorter things in front and taller in the back so your get to enjoy the perspective from the inside of the home and IF you can make white line on the grass like a food ball field and maybe make a curve that goes down the slope and up again . You can use a bit of flower for he line ( or use a string or water hose)than chop away BEST THING to gut sharp edges an old BREAD KNIFE.. Enjoy the creative work! 160 bulbs waouuh were they one sale ? who much in Toronto here you get 8 pcs for 7 dollars

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

No, not on sale, but a price I could live with.

Oh yes, this garden is only just started, and I have experience at outdoor gardening so definitely take very seriously the heights of each plant, making sure the taller ones are in the back of course. No worries.

I also have many gladiola bulbs and I planned that the fence would be perfect to stake them to. Wait until you see it next season. I am far from 'prettying' things up yet Vic, but you'll see later.

I have tons of work to do before that will happen...

: )

3. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I wish I had room for a bed like that! :D

4. The Hollyberry Lady

1. My baby burro's tail 'burrito' cuttings, growing wonderfully...

2. My Plumeria branch cutting, just beginning to root, and shoot new leaf buds from the branch tips...

3. My rooted 'string of pearls' cuttings...

Attached Files:

5. vicarious1

Tell me I got these pieces from a friends garden Will they grow the way I put them into the earth ?
    I hod to put them high on a cabinet my kitten found nothing better than start digging them out again and again. Do they need DIRECT sunlight or not can I put leave them in this small pot to catch roots or must I put them in a bigger one right away. They do have shallow roots right ?

Attached Files:

6. vicarious1

2. My Plumeria branch cutting, just beginning to root, and shoot new leaf buds from the branch tips...

I love FRANGIPANY isn't that what's it also called it smells nice I have big tree in South Africa in the garden

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, they do smell lovely, Vic. I am looking forward to seeing flowers on mine - they will be white and yellow. I am likely getting a pink variety in the Spring time too!

Your cuttings look great, by the way. Yes, they should grow in that pot great!

Although I tried to get a third Bay Laurel tree the same day I bought my second one, I was unable to, because they were sold out.

: (

Much to my surprise though, about a week ago, I went to the same greenhouse, and low and behold there was a third tree sitting over by the basil!

I was told someone returned it!!! Who in their right mind, would return a gorgeous specimen such as this?!!!...

: O

Attached Files:

8. Northpolegardener

Northpolegardener Member

Just a test...to see if it works.....Pic taken 5min. ago...:-)

Attached Files:

9. The Hollyberry Lady

It worked, and it's beautiful!

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I've been sick the past couple of days (presumably with the flu) and this beautiful morning I decided to go and check out the plants since I feel better now. I had to tweak these following pictures because of the bright sun, but they look much like they do in real life with the changes I've made (though real life is always better).

Unfortunately, HBL, when you're sick, you can't exactly go to the post office, so I'm another week late, sorry! :(

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

I am sorry that you're sick - hope you feel better. Great pics!

I will be mailing your stuff this coming Sunday night - been real busy. It's better because it's giving the burrito burro's tail time to grow anyway.

12. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You can mail stuff on Sunday? :o

13. The Hollyberry Lady

I don't go to the actual post office - just pop it in the mailbox, and it goes out first thing Monday morning. I weigh stuff myself at home, so I know how much postage to add.

Our post office is actually open on Sunday though, until 5pm, but it's easier for me to just stick stuff right in the mailbox directly, instead.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh. :P

All the boxes are at the post office, and we don't have many stamps around so I'd run into a few problems with the USPS if I did it that way. :)

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, I've been mailing stuff to people for over 6 years, so I always have lots of stuff at home to use for packaging. I like to recycle other people's packaging too. Hate making the greedy post office any richer than I have to.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

I was just recently mailed 4 different kinds of Bragmansia cuttings that I am rooting in a glass of water. Here are two of them - Kylis Pink, and Rose Pearl. Some of the leaves have started growing already...

Attached Files:

17. vicarious1

Hello for all those who could not make it or did not know about it or are just on the other side of the world .
    Wanted to share this with all of you. It's not plants but its the 100% natural,nature, spiritual and peace oriented
    RENFREW RAVIN MOON FESTIVAL photos of last night Basically its the Vancouver tribute to the Chinese Mid Automn Festival
    at
    http://bit.ly/3y1vVS
    Did anyone of you ave Dumplings for dinner ? This would have been the appropriate dish that we had yum yum yum http://bit.ly/eTsLt

18. Nath

Nath Active Member

Its been nice to see everyones pictures from the week, I had hoped to post a few myself but some Kind person decided to put a For Sale post through Veronica's Driver side window and smash all the mirrors off at 2am the other night, so my weekend has been taken up with the police who found the car in that state during the night and the insurance company and repairers and so on, so no gardening this weekend. Hopefully next weekend i can get something done and I'll see if I can get some pictures in the evenings but the nights are drawing in fast.

Nath

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Nice plants ShearMe and i hope you feel better,

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I sent you a pm about it Nath - so sorry that happened to you!!!

: (

I sure know what it's like, to have idiots in the middle of the night, touch stuff that doesn't belong to them. I feel really bad for you, and I am sorry that you experienced this. Hope you are free of this crap, in the future.

Chin up.

21. vicarious1

Nath sorry for your problems..The world isn't was its used to be...
    NINA...may I ask you and others here.
    I have all this curly Kale growing up to 3and more feet tall growing but it never seems to make any seeds at all grows like a tree always new leaves on the top. I know it supposed to get sweeter after frost. Should I make a plastic roof over it for the winter but then there will be no sunshine at all.
    NINA. This is for you. You mentioned freezing your veggies for winter.
    Can you please share your method.
    I was told cut,rinse, have big boiling water pot and dip it inside just till it collapses than take out
    cool down drain and put in plastic bags when cool. I got loads so its got to go fast and not take too much space I only have ONE upright freezer. Do you BOIL it completely or only dip it ?
    My red russian kale is infested with small aphids I will have to cut it down all. IF I plant some seeds now in OCTOBER in Vancouver outdoors with a clean plastic green house house over the bed will it grow for the winter or is it too later?) Or must I grow the seedlings indoor and than mover them outside ?

22. Nath

Nath Active Member

Thanks HBL and Vic, I got your PM Sherry and replied to you on that Vic you are so right the world certainly isnt what it was, the age of chivalry and respect for others and their property seems well and truly dead. Any how on a more positive note I like the way your Brugmansia is looking HBL, I put mine outside to let the insects and wind rid it of the white spider mites it was afflicted with and it has worked, it lost a few leaves to wind burn but it has all new growth coming where they have fallen off. Mine is a cutting off a woody branch that was given me so I don't expect it will flower now this year but fingers crossed for next year. I also found a packet of mixed Brugmansia seed that I am going to try, though I have read they can be quite difficult to grow from seed and that they need soaking for 24 hours befor planting. The annoying thing was thathere arent any instructions on the packet to let you know at what time of year to sow them, I will google it later but if anyone knows when to sow them please let me know.

Like HBL I planted around 200 Tulip bulbs this year hoping for a dazzling display in spring.

Another remarkable thing has happened this year my Bouganvillea has just flowered for the 3rd time this year and each time the flowers have been a different colour, i can't believe it and I didnt know it was possible, I have never seen that happen in Mexico.

Something new every year!

Nath

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Hydrangeas can do the same thing - change color of the flowers, depending on the soil ph.

How exciting about your tulips Nath. I am so excited to see my new ones this Spring. Hope you planted them in groups, because they look fantastic this way. I see you think BIG like me - 200 bulbs! I'm impressed. Wow, it will be gorgeous.

What colors did you do? You guys saw my ones this Spring, well my new ones, at the back of the building, will be purple, pink, and white with purple fringe!!! They are just stunning. I love burying bulbs this time of year.

24. Nath

Nath Active Member

I got various varigated ones, some yellow with red dripping through them in stripes, I got some white ones with like a red St Georges Cross effect, some black, some deep purple, some golden coloured doubles and some double pinks. I have set them in clumps for effect and have interspersed some crocus and snowdrops between them and for effect planted 20 Hyacinths of all colours. Then as they die back the lillies should come up, I sowed around 2 - 300 daffodil bulbs I bought as a job lot last year and had an amazing display, if they have mutliplied this year the tulips should be preceeded by a see of yellow and white from the double Narcissi. I have gone for a double effect this year, for bright colours and for strong scents to dazzle the senses, lets see if it works. If I can find some mature agapanthus to go in between the lillies I will add some of those but they are very expensive here in the uk and if you grow them from seed they take 5 years to bloom.

Nath

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh Nath - they will be just gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see. Your lilies this year too, were stunning!!!

: O