A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Look what I am having in tomorrow night's dinner...

: )

P.S. It's a 'Purple Cayenne/Jalapeno' cross, hotter than hell pepper!

Attached Files:

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yay pasta!!!

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Precisely what I was thinking, ShearMe!

: O

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I'm researching for a good indoor HID system, know of one?

5. The Hollyberry Lady

It's a personal choice, and people will tell you this and tell you that, but don't believe any of it. Do some research - talk to some sales people on the phone and get some information.

I have a 400W metal halide HID system with a warm deluxe SunMaster bulb. Works wonders for me, but others may like something else. I don't want to have to change bulbs for each stage of growth, but others may enjoy it.

Do some reseach and find out what's out there. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy this or buy that - make your own decision based on your own personal needs, likes, and dislikes. Once you do some research, you can then make an informed decision about what would be the best HID light system for you, and you won't need someone else to tell you what to buy - but people will still try...

6. Nath

Nath Active Member

Wish the Fig trees were mine but they are the Old gentlemans at the back of our house. Katalina I went and got another batch of Tulip bulbs yesterday. Avarigated Yellow Double with red threaded through and some deep purple. Should make an intersting display. I can't wait.

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Lovely Tulips HBL!

I know the one Nath, I saw similar yesterday but my arms were already dropping what I bought loll so next week I shall pick some more.

On Ebay I found one of my fav summer plants will flower all winter too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CALENDULA-WIN...s_JN?hash=item19b6171381&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I *will be ordering those and they can also be a swap for someone. What I want to do is wait to se what Robv has then buy the seeds he wants along with any I buy.

8. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

Nice plant Katlina hope it does well for you, they dont like the shade here and tend to give up for me.
    I agree with HBL on the HID, everyone has their own preferance and like with plants what works for one might not work for another.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pasta with chillie and garlic.

I'm just moving the last of my stuff to the new house today so i dont know when i'll next be online (hopefully soon) so till then hope your gardening exploits go well and i look forward to hearing from you all soon.
    Have fun, Chris

9. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Greerish,

Good luck in the new home. I would envy but I know how shattering it can be, not to mention stressful.

I have moved several times over the years.

Having said that I have been waiting seven years for a bigger place with a much bigger garden. We have to bid for any home we want and now the goal posts have been moved to add 'you must also decorate or you can't move'.

All daisies like those at the link do need sun.

Hope your soon back.

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have not been keeping up re fig tree. But they can grow from branches that have dropped to the ground and made roots. I suspect cuttings would work too. My nice big old one turned it's toes up but has left me with two younger ones further out.

Liz

11. et2007

et2007 Active Member

So sorry for what happened to you HBL, it so sad to think of those people haven't find their inner beauty...

12. plantin 09

plantin 09 Member

I need help with the plants identifing them

13. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Send some pics or some descriptions and this mob will do there best.
    Liz

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I'm going with a 400 watt MH system. *w00t*

15. Nath

Nath Active Member

Thats interesting Liz, I may ask the owner if I can take a cutting or two and give it a go.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

That's great ShearMe - glad you chose something that will suit your needs. I will tell you that my 400w metal halide will grow just about anything. Peppers, tomatoes and strawberries thrive under it.

Now you'll need to decide which bulb you will use. Only ever use a 400w bulb in a 400w ballast. Do not try to use a 600 or a 1000w bulb. You may already know this, but just thought I'd pass it on because it can be a real fire hazard and the bulb could rupture! Be sure to buy your system from a reputable source - with a warranty.

Good luck, Zac. When are you getting it?

Thanks Katalina, about my tulips. You guys have got me so excited with all this Spring bulb talk that I want to go buy another 320!!!

Thanks Et2007. Yes, I was very devastated when it first happened. You guys have all been so nice and supportive of me, that it really made it so much easier. Thank you, everyone.

17. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hey HBL,

I was getting worried about you, glad your ok.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I am ok. Sometimes things just come up and we get a little busy, that's all. You won't get rid of me that easily! Hahahahaha.

I am going through what feels like a thousand emails to bring myself up to date with all the new posts. Missed you guys.

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Welcome back Sherry....glad you checked in too.,

Hiya Katalina.

20. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Penny wenny

Circle is now complete lol

21. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Yeppers, the gang's all here.

22. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Did'nt someone say they were going to start a seed swapping forum?

I thought thats meybe where Sherry (HBL) was for the two days lolol

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, ShearMe started the seed swapping forum. Although I am very interested, I've just had a lot on the go lately, and I think I just belong to too many darn gardening forums to have time for any more!

I suppose when Fall and Winter hit I will be less active and maybe can find some time to put into ShearMe's creation.

I really like it when you call Penny - 'Penny Wenny' Katalina! It's cute, and it reminds me of the kindergarten song we used to sing called 'Willaby Wallaby'!!!

Well, it's good to be back with the gang. I did miss you guys and was thinking of you all and hoping things were well.

I am pretty excited today, because I am expecting some seeds and plants in the mail! My new red banana plant could very well arrive today! I have a nice big pot and some great new soil ready and waiting to transplant it into. It is going to love it's new home. I like it too that those thieves will likely see it and be totally drooling with envy - but they will never ever get it!

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

So, where is this forum?

Penny wenny yea lolol and she never chastises me about it.

'Willaby Wallaby'!!! also sounds fun.

I did go to your profile to ask whats up but no mail addy is specified, but its ok as long as you are ok.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Um, the forum is called 'Gone to Seed' - ShearMe, what's the exact link? I forget now.

Yeah the song would go...

'Willaby Wallaby wenny - an elephant sat on Penny'!

You would just make a silly rhyme to a person's name and then say an elephant sat on them. We would sing through the list of everyone's names in the class. It was such a fun song - does anyone remember it?

Alright, so back to seed swapping. Sounds like some real good ones are about to take place. Can you imagine next Spring, guys? Our pots and gardens will be smashing!!!