A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Oh that is pretty Sherry....I'm glad to hear that the seeds are doing well too.

I'm starting to harvest some of my pepper, and i can mail off the others to you that i wasnt able to send in the last swap we did....and a few other surprises too... :):):)

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Already, Penny?!!!

: O

Wow - that's fast. I think you know that when my seeds are ready, you will be given some surprises as well - how fun. One of your last surprises was the 'black pearl'!!! I was absolutely floored, when I saw them - you'll never know how much.

Yes, her plant is stunning. Apparently, the more sun they get, the blacker the leaves become. Have you ever seen a pepper plant so attractive and ornamental?!!! I am just amazed at it. What a special beauty.

Here is her flurescent purple pepper plant in the 1st picture, and another one of her potted black pearl plants, in the 2nd shot!!!...

Attached Files:

3. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Those are both stunning arent they.
    Its nice to be at the point now of things being ready to eat....so as i pick things off the vines, i am drying seeds everywhere.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, I love that point too - I've been drying seeds for months now because of my pepper and geranium plants indoors. I have seeds all over my table right now even. Sooooo fun, huh Penny? I can't wait to collect some new ones this season, and pass them on...

Yes, her plants really make me want to grow them, badly. How beautiful! Can't wait to see how mine turn out. I am growing mine in a pot in full-sun - from 7am to 8pm!!!

It should be black as night! I am told that black pearl is a slow grower, bit worth the wait. I am so thrilled to have a seedling. Thanks again, Penny.

: )

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Mine (snails) don't eat the water lillies etc. They tend to suck on the algae. At least when I had them in the fish tank of goldfish they did. I have small conical shaped snails. I suspect they are wild ones. I have had the ones pictured above. The trick to clean water is to get an ecosystem working then let it settle and mature and the water will become crystal clear. In shallow ponds you can make it look deeper by using dark liners and overhanging rocks where the liner is hidden underneath. My pond (old stump hole) has not been cleaned out for years and is a thriving place. I will need to cut ferns back shortly but apart from that it is topped up by rain water from the roof and if too full overflows on to the flat section into the bog garden and from there down the slope.

Liz

6. The Hollyberry Lady

Very fun - creating an ecosystem. I am pleased with everything I am learning about it. Thanks for all the great information, everyone.

I am going to do things a lot differently next year, that's for sure. I kept my pond indoors crystal clear and beautiful for over 5 months! I just made a huge mistake adding that fish food!

I want a deeper and bigger pond next year, if I am going to have fish and snails. Maybe I should keep the fish I have and bring them into my apartmnt for winter? I don't know yet.

It would be nice to get some of those pretty tropical fish for next year, but would they be as tough as my river fish? I don't want something frail and sensitive. I guess I thought I could just have some fish in my pond for the summer but put them back in the river come Fall. I am waverig though, so I will decide later - after more research...

7. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

my Clematis sp. are almost in full bloom, they have a verry sweet smell. :)

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

They're just simply stunning, Blake!

9. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

and my moon flowers... they are more fragrent than any flower I have ever grown, They smell more sweat than a rose and the beautiful smell travels along way. :)

ps.
    pics. taken 6min ago.

Attached Files:

10. The Hollyberry Lady

OMG - you gotta figure out how to collect the seeds for the mooflower, Blake! It's gorgeous! ShearMe will love it.

11. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

last year I had millions of seeds, seedlings and waiting for this years harvest :D It looked like a carpet of grass!!!!!

Id be happy to give you some, or anyone els some who wants any seeds. they are poisonous if injested, in the darta plant family. gota wait till fall tho.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  12. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, wait til Fall - swamped now. Thanks - those are so awesome!

13. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way, Beth...

One of your red tamarillo 'tree tomato' seeds popped today! I was beginning to wonder if they ever would. I sowed the seeds on July 21st, and they are just coming up now!

Be patient, Penny. The seedling looks similar to a tomato but it has a purple tinge to it, and the seeds take way longer to germinate than tomato seeds do. So thrilled to have a sprout and can't wait to watch it grow. How thrilling.

Also, my banana passion flower seedling is taking off now, too. I'll take pics in a couple of weeks when there's something to show. Thanks for the great seeds, Beth.

14. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

YAY! They're a bit recalcitrant, but they do eventually come up. I'm so excited! The leaves after the cotleydons will have that same purplish tinge to them, and at that point the plant will cease to look like a tomato - the mature leaves are sort of heart-shaped.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh wow - sounds so great, Beth. I like the purple tinge, actually. It is going to be so cool, growing it!

Ok, because I am such a fanatic, I will show ya pic now, that I just took five mins ago. You can see the purple tinge to the sprout...

Attached Files:

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh...

and here is my banana passion flower 'taxo' seedling too, Beth...

Attached Files:

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Tugrul:

This is your sand lily seedling!

I am not keeping it too moist but a little water at a time. Working well so far...

Attached Files:

18. tugo

tugo Active Member

Yesss Sherry:)) Mine has given a second sprout with one of them. I believe they are building up bulbs under the soil, for next year? See mine;
    sandlily.JPG
    and my snails for ShearMe. I couldn't catch a mature one and the are cute also:))
    snails.JPG

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Great pictures everyone, and yes please Blake, i would love a few seeds from that gorgeous plant.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

So even though the snails are attached to your Nelumbo leaf, they don't do any damage, Tugrul?

By the way - your sand lily sprouts look great!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  21. tugo

tugo Active Member

In my opinion, they do eat the leaves. Because they are living only in this bucket and destroyed leaves are also here. The other plants are all ok because they are in different containers.
    These snails reproduce too quickly in my pond also and make the koi happy. Koi just sucks out the shell.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

So the snails are food for your koi?

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - things are really growing now...

Attached Files:

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Just took these shots now...

1. mango tree seedling
    2. Beth's tomato tree germinating
    3. musa basjoo banana plant (indoors, against Bob's wishes)

Attached Files:

25. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

hahahaha :) :)

;)