A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. tugo

tugo Active Member

Regarding feeding fish; They will not starve for sure, in that pond environment. I did not feed my koi since 2 weeks because the whether is too hot, but they find somethings to eat of course, organisms, larvas etc. But if I feed them 24 hrs non stop, they will never say, "no thanks":))

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Thanks Tugrul, for the helpful information.

I didn't think manure would work out either with the fish, but I wasn't totally sure. I am thinking that the fertilizer tablets might be harmful too, and I don't think I will add them while the fish are around.

Well, the air bubbles started when the fish arrived. Like I said, some days it looks like a fizzy bowl of pop, there are so many bubbles. They come from the bottom and I wondered if it was those 3 bottom fish creating them. The bubbles sit on top of the surface of the water. I also see the other 2 swimming fish, go to the surface and grab an air bubble before going back down lower.

The Lotus seems to be loving all the oxygen, because it is growing rapidly. In fact since I added the 5 fish, it is like someone turned on a switch for my nelumbo and it is growing like crazy! I thought I wanted tadpoles, but fish are definitely the way to go. I would like to have tadpoles and fish, but for now I am satisfied.

Ok, so you think they have enough food without me adding any? Good to know. Wish I had of known this before I clouded up my pond water with food dye! Oh well.

Yes Tugrul, I understand that you're a man, and you might not be as concerned about the appearance of the water , or care how much it sparkles. I love to make things look clean and inviting - it's just who I am. The color of my pond water currently, is way below my standard of satisfaction and approval, but if I obsess over it, it will drive me nutz. I know what to do for next time, to prevent this unsightly murkiness.

By the way...

Do you think my fish will breed?!!!

: O

What kind of fish do you think I have? Minnows?

: )

3. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Joey D, thank you for the info. Well, that just my luck, guess i just keep looking to find the right one.

HBL, no, i didn't grow it by seeds, i'm much too old, :) This one i bought it last spring, the other is 4 years old.

4. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear Sherry, if if one day you get a clear photo, still I believe I cannot name your fish. I am familiar with only a few and mostly koi. Sorry for that. But ofcourse will be some other members to name them.
    My pond is 2400 gallons with around 30 kois plus the plants. There are also lots of mythes how to care a pond etc. Every one has his own way. Once in a year I make bottom cleaning, that is allmost all. Though I have all the equipment like bio-filter,UV,etc.etc. I ended up using all those stuff and find that the mother nature arranges all, also with the help of the plants.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Very cool, Tugrul - thanks for the information.

No big deal about the fish, I am just glad to have them, even if I don't know what they are. Yes, everyone does have their own way, and that's ok. I am learning a lot through trial and error as well.

I strive to have a well balanced and happy ecosystem, where plants and creatures are thriving. I think next year I am going to get a waaaaay bigger container, and put way more fish and some water grass!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Water grasses would go nicely along side the nelumbo, especially if its the kind that comes out the water. :)

I will post pics of the koi, as soon as I find the camera... :(

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Can't wait to see your Koi, Zac...

Guess what else I am going to be growing very shortly? Pink Oyster mushrooms!!!

This very cool person is sending me some of the bacteria to get me started and says I can grow them in a wide-mouth sterilized jar - using nothing but my left over coffee grounds and filters! The mushrooms grow right on the coffee grounds and damp filters. He described the whole process to me and it's very easy. Too cool, huh?

Of course I will show pics of everything later...

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

If he's sending you bactericidal mushrooms, you should call some scientists! :o

Mushrooms are fungi, but very cool never-the-less. Do they look like pink oysters?

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is the picture of his growing out of the mason jar, with nothing but coffee grounds and filters...

I should be receiving the culture soon! I can't wait.

Attached Files:

10. tugo

tugo Active Member

Looks so nice. Looking forward to see your experience step by step.

11. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

RE manure in pond
    If planting things for a pond put a layer of coarse sand and pebbles over soil and manure in pot. Also fill water very slowly and don't forget to let it stand if fish are going to be part of the mix. Re overfeeding that will also make the water dirty. Add some water snails to the mix if they are not already there
    Liz

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks, Liz.

Oh yes, I know all about dirty water and how to keep it clean. Just wish I didn't add that godforsaken fish food. My water was perfectly clear before. Gonna add pebbles next year, for sure.

What do water snails do? Maybe next year I can add some...

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, Tugrul, I will show step by step how I grow the mushrooms, with pics included. I just hope I have success like this fella thinks I will.

14. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

re water snails they also help keep the pond healthy. Tey often come in with weed or water as tiny things and grow. Aquariums should also have them.
    Liz

15. The Hollyberry Lady

I wonder where I could get some, because I've never seen them here, Liz. Then again, I've never really looked for them. Maybe they sell them at the fish stores...

I will have a much better pond next year, not to worry. Like I said, for many months, I had a crystal clear and clean pond, but that fish food did a number on my water. They really didn't need nor want my fish food anyway, so it was a stupid thing to do. Never again!

I could change the water, if it was all about me and making things look nice. I feel sorry for the fish though and I do not want to upset them again, just when they're getting used to things. They don't seem to mind the cloudy water one bit, so I will live with it this year.

Changing the water is a 3 or 4 day ordeal - I've been through it many times before. No matter how slow you poor the water in, you gotta wait a few days for it to clear off and settle.

Thanks Liz, for all your tips and suggestions.

16. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I would check the pet stores Sherry, or if you have a PetSmart there, they would most likely have them.

17. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear Sherry, just by chance I checked my nelumbo in the bucket and first saw the snails, then their eggs. This plant had stayed some short time in the pond and the snails came from there.
    They eat the leaves as you will see from the pic and since I know from my water lilies in the pond. They really give too much damage to the leaves. I will make a hand cleaning since the bucket is not so big, in order to quit from using pesticides which also harms the leaves.
    I know it is your own soup but, some friends around me had also tried different stuff against the mosquito larva and at the end they ruined their plants.
    If I were you, would just try to eliminate them with a strainer as much as possible and when the whether gets cool they will get lost any how.
    snails.JPG

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you, Tugrul, for the useful information. Needless to say I will not be getting any snails!
    Sorry, Liz.

As my grandmother used to say 'why fix what is not broken'?!!! The five fish currently in my pond are not eating my nelumbo, but they are eating the mesquito larvae completely, and keeping the surface clear, so I do not have to sift it anymore!

They're great little fish, and they are doing exactly what I wanted them to do. This is working out successfully, so I really shouldn't try to improve what is working. I do not want to add something and next thing you know my plant is being eaten! Yikes.

So far, so good...

19. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Are you positive those were the same water snails they would sell at petsmart/petco, tugo? I've never seen those eat any of the water plants in our aquariums...

20. tugo

tugo Active Member

Well of course can be some other type and then sorry but what I meant was the small/medium sized creatures with a conic shell.Tomorrow I can shoot them from the buckle.

21. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh, a pic would be great! Water snails shouldn't eat water plants unless there's no other food source, but without fish in your pond they might have due to lack of... poo. :o

22. The Hollyberry Lady

For now, I will leave well enough alone.

23. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I have some water snails in my Aquarium, they keep it nice and Clean. :) They have never botherd any of my plants tho. and I have just recentley put them in my pond to keep it clean. :) ...I have learned that some water snails eat plants :( and others dont :) and some eat both.

Heres mine:

Attached Files:

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Neat, Blake!

I bet Pet Smart sells the kind that won't eat my nelumbo. For this year though, I think I will just see how my fish continue to work out for me...

P.S. Thanks for all the great tips, ideas, and suggestions, everyone.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Penny:

Happy to report that one of your black pearl pepper seeds is germinating for me!

I am expecting more black pearl and fluorescent purple pepper seeds this week from someone else. I intend on saving seeds from my growings, so I can share with others as well.

Anyway, thanks so much Penny. These pearls are very special to me. Check out the plant that belongs to the other lady mailing me seeds, too! Isn't it gorgeous?!!!...

Attached Files: