A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Ohhhh, those lilies are gorgeous, Nath!

: O

2. The Hollyberry Lady

Also, here are some fresh Laurel leaves taken from my Bay tree just this morning. I am drying the leaves in a book, so they don't curl up. So cool to have my own fresh bay leaves again. Mmmmmmm.

: )

Attached Files:

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Who could resist buying this yellow Foxglove?!!!

P.S. I am not one to buy nursery plants, but when they look this healthy, I make exceptions. This thing is thriving!

Attached Files:

4. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Love that white clematis. I keep looking at the young mango leaves, it's making me hungry :) The yellow Foxglove very pretty, i don't remember see the yellow one.
    My passion flower just open this evening, I wonder if this one is the type that fruit?

Attached Files:

5. Nath

Nath Active Member

ET it looks just like my neighbours flower next door so if it is the same you should be in luck, theirs was laden with fruit last year, I was so jealous oh well we'll see how mine makes out.

HBL it has certainly been a great year for lillies. How is your mango making out have you taken any fotos of it yet?

Nath

6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Woah, that banana looks huge!

And that mango looks more vibrant too, Nath.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Thank you, thank you Nath, i also have another one, the flower is the same, but color is darker, it never produce fruit...

8. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

My melon is doing great, but it does have two little nicks from when I had to frantically re-hang it in the rain. It is wrapped in a panty hose folded over on itself making two layers and then slung in another panty hose double layered as well.

There's also a lizard, and a flower about to open which I need an ID on.

Attached Files:

9. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

ET, I haven't heard of a passionflower that doesn't fruit, but some fruits are more edible than others! That looks to me like P. caerulea, which will produce edible fruit, but isn't as palatable as other species from what I've read. Here is a great reference on all things Passiflora:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/index.htm

Happy growing!

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Et2007 - how old is your passionflower vine? Did you grow it from seed? Gorgeous flower. My vine should be flowering any day now too. I am trying to be patient.

Well, I showed one pic of my mango when it was first germinating. Here it is a few days later. It looks like it is developing some leaves...

P.S. Loving my new Foxglove I bought last night.

Also...

Your melons look great, ShearMe - I see you're using my panty hose trick I told you about! You are going to be eating a melons very soon...

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Thought I'd post this here also...

A couple of days ago, my mom and I went to visit my brother's grave, and much to my surprise we saw a white tailed deer right in the cemetery!!!

Always a shock to see deer in the city, and my mom and I stood in absolute awe! At first, my mom even thought it was fake! It came out of the woods to get an apple, fallen from a nearby tree.

By chance, I had my camera - here are the shots I was able to get...

Attached Files:

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Just finished transplanting my Foxglove outside in one of the gardens. I'm so glad I got it.

It is a perennial and blooms all summer long!

Attached Files:

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Very cool you saw a deer, such tranquil animals till they eat a plant you love and you have to chase them off. :)

Beautiful foxglove as well, and yes, the pantyhose works great, but I might have to get creative once the melon gets bigger. :o

14. The Hollyberry Lady

No, it's ok, just pull the nylons more tightly against the trellis or fence and the melons can get as big as they want to, because the nylons will stretch. You don't need to do anything but tie the panty hose a bit tighter as the melons grow. You really are doing a great job, Zac. I'm proud of ya, and so glad we traded seeds.

Thanks, about my Foxglove. As it is getting darker outside, it looks like a lantern! Those creamy yellow flowers are so bright and easy to see. Foxgloves attract hummingbirds, and there are some in the area!

I am just tickled that I bought it. I have had visions of going back tonight and getting the purple variety as well! I must stop myself, from over-doing it, I know. They are just too beautiful - and they're perennial. To top it all off - I only paid 7 bucks for it!

15. The Hollyberry Lady

We don't see deer too often here in the city, so it was quite unusual to see one like this - and in the middle of the day!

Here are 2 other crappy shots I got as well. Wasn't gonna bother posting them, but I guess I will anyway. It was too cool seeing a deer. Weirder too that the last time I saw a deer, I was with my brother and my mom!

Attached Files:

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

A Native American might say its his spirit paying you a visit. :)

I didn't mean the nylon would break, just that my trellis squares could be too small and I might have to rig it to keep it from getting stuck in-between the bars. Purple foxglove would go delicately alongside the creamy yellow color you have, not that I'm trying to convince you at all. I am also glad we have done trades, but will have to get something extra special to send you for helping me get started. Don't try to talk me out of it, you'll waist UBC's bandwidth. :P

My last pics of the day. :)

Attached Files:

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - so pretty!

Ok, but I just don't want you feeling like you owe me anything - you don't. You have given me many beautiful plants and seeds already. I really like to share with you especially ShearMe, because you remind me of myself when I first got into gardening. Just wanted you to have some cool stuff to grow.

Exactly - it struck me that way too. Like it was a sign of some kind. It really was unusual. Thanks for that comment, Zac.

Well...

I didn't get the purple foxglove - - - yet! It's only 1:15 am - I could get a 2nd wind in a half hour! This is what I like to do on Friday nights - stay up until some unGodly hour and either sow seeds, or go to the all night nursery and buy myself a fine looking specimen! I just haven't decided if it's really what I want just yet. I will see...

I just got back from Wal-Mart a short time ago, and bought my pond fish a little hidey house. I want to provide them with a shelter from people and sun also. They are doing so well. Tonight, before I went to the store, they were swimming right near the top of the water, happily. It really made me so glad to see them chasing each other and having fun.

18. Nath

Nath Active Member

Great melon Shearme, I must try that sometime. I like your Foxglove too HBL, I have grown a lot from seed this year, the ones that come up every year naturally in the garden have started to die back and seed so I'm looking forward to seeing my new Foxgloves flower over the next few weeks. Meantime I am really pleased that I have hadso many seed pods of what I think is a Californian poppy it said on the packet as I bought the seeds in Mexico City and woldnt know where to go for more until we go home again.

Here is a picture of them, i love them and they close up a bit in the evening and are fully open again during the day, which means I don't often get to see them during th day as Im at work when they are fully open apart from weekends. The flowers last for weeks and don't drop off after a day as normal poppies can do. The common variety in the UK call Flanders poppies bloom in early morning and fall off by 3pm.

Nath

S8003085.jpg

19. tugo

tugo Active Member

Today, happy to see the first aerial stem of my nelumbo unfolded its leave:))
    Yaprakaçıldı (1).JPG

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Nice poppies, Nath. So bright and pretty. If ya can get a shot of them when they're open - if you're home, that'd be great...

Ohhhh Tugo - look how perfect your nelumbo is!!!

It looks so gorgeous and I am sooooo happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself. Looks like you are on your way to success, Tugo. Thank you for sharing your pic with us. How lovely that aerial leaf is. Can't wait to see your plant again in a few days.

Well...

I am shocked to be posting shots I just took this morning - of my fish!!!!! I went out to place the new hidey house I got for them into the water, and they were both swimming and eating at the surface. I am so pleased to finally be able to show them to you.

The other 3 fish you will never see because they stay on the bottom permanently - more like sucker fish. These two however, are actual little fish, and they swim throughout the pond, chasing each other. I am so glad I got them that little house for them to hide and have fun with. I am just so amazed that live fish are living in my pond! They've been here for over a week nearly.

The water is more cloudy now, from the fish food. Why would they make fish food that turns the water color?!!! Next year, things will be done differently, but they are happy as larks for now. I will line the bottom of the soil next season with pond pebbles. I am wondering about the fertilizer tablets I add to the soil for my nelumbo - will this hurt the fish?

The first shot just shows the pond and my lotus leaves. The water is considerably more murky than it was, but I just have to deal with it this season. It might be a blessing in disguise because it camouflages the fish a bit better from people. No one bothers them, but the odd curious kid visitor shows up and wants to have a look.

Anyway, here are my little darlings...

Attached Files:

21. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear HbL, thanks for your nice wishes. This one with the aerial leave has no fertiliser yet but gets the full sun. I have 2 other buckets just for experiment and one with cow manure but both in half sun. They are not as strong as the first one. Although it is written in many sources, this difference was what I wanted to see on my behalf. So sun, sun and sun.

Very cute house for the fish. Sure they are very happy and green murky water is good for them as well the fish. You have to wait for cold times to have a clear look:))

22. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Beautiful poppies Nath, and great nelumbo tugo!

HBL, if the fish food is making the water murky, that means you've over fed them! :o

I don't know how you'll fix it with it being an unfiltered pond, but in aquariums it takes a few days for the water to clear out. I'll post pics of our koi when I get back from the bank.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you Tugrul, for the reassuring words about the water. You know how fanatical I am about keeping it looking sparkling clean, but there is nothing I could do about it - apart from taking the fish out, and re-filling it. I did not want to put the fish through the trauma of that, after all they've been through already. Poor little guys.

The fact that they are surviving all this time, and even seeming happy, really makes my heart sing! I was nearly in a panic about them dying, or being bothered by kid visitors. I really should have provided them with a hidey house much sooner, but I've never had fish before and it took me a bit to clue into their needs.

The "house" is more like a broken urn, but now they can have shelter from people and sunlight - plus they will play and chase each other through the holes! I am pleased at how this is working out.

Tugrul:

The bucket with the manure - does it settle completely to the bottom and allow the water to be clear? Would fish survive in a pond with manure as the soil bottom? I want to make things better and better, as I get experience and practice - and good ideas from knowledgeable people, like yourself. This is too fun and interesting, making my own ecosystem.

I have never seen so much air in the water, since I added the fish. Some days, it looks like a fizzy bowl of gingerale, with bubbles shooting up everywhere from the bottom! The nelumbo is thriving and none of the fish are bothering it or trying to eat it.

Yes, my pond is in full-sun, but it's so tall and deep that it doesn't get too warm for the fish. I was checking several times a day when they first arrived. I would not have my poor little fish getting over-heated. They are doing just perfect.

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Well...

These fish came from the river and when I applied the very tiny bit of food, they didn't know what it was, and I think they were afraid of it. I was careful not to over-do-it because Liz had warned me.

I don't think I am going to add any more fish food, because last night I saw one of them come right up to the surface and snatch a gnat or a mesquito! I don't think they need my food. I am a bit disappointed about the murky water, yes, but I must accept it for this year. It will be crystal clear next time, trust me.

Looking forward to seeing your shots, Zac...

25. tugo

tugo Active Member

Sherry, I am not sure but my logic says that cow manure will be poisonous for the fish??
    Other friends can give a better idea.
    In the big buckle, I have a smaller one which holds the plant and the media. From bottom to top it is soil,manure and again soil. Since the soil is with high clay, it keeps the manure particles from going out. Yes, the water is murky, but it is ok for me and also you know, it is a men's work, no need to have it "crystal clear":))

What wonders me the bubbles you say, too many coming up. What I have experienced some bubbles come out the first time I deep the small pot into the bucket, which is normal, the air in the soil comes out, but what about bubbles coming up every time, this is strange for me. There is only one or two species of fish which send up respiration bubbles. Then where does it comes from, is out of my knowledge.