A.P.Shin deshojo fall colour?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Houzi, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Hello everyone,I've been meaning to ask this question for years but never got round to it.
    Autumn's on it's way,I have the said cultivar and it's got to a decent size now but not once has it given me any fall colour.I had a small Deshojo for a short while and it had good red fall colour straight away.
    Has anyone seen any colour from SD or is that the trade off for the longer spring colouration....personally I wish I'd planted Deshojo if this one is never gonna do it.Would love to see someone with glowing fall colours to give me hope...cheers.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Houzi good evening, my Shindeshojo colours up very well in the Spring and in the Autumn it goes a lovely bronze colour. I have attached two photos from May and September.
    Yes, although there is a bit of a trade off with this cultivar, I am more than happy with the bronze. Hope you can be too.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  3. Houzi

Evening to you too Acerholic,you've got a vast collection...you're definately infected ha.Thanks for the reply,this is now almost the largest tree I have so to be honest I was hoping for it to be the star of the garden with the bright red of Deshojo,makes me wonder if they are related .Maybe it does better for others in different areas as I must admit a lot of my fall colours are very hit&miss.This one is usually just a mottled muddy colour.It is super in the spring though the increasing trend of hot sunny springs greatly reduce the length of the bright red display.Last year it had faded before the leaves had fully opened :( By the way,did anything come of that new cultivar mentioned by Matt fowler that was considered even better?

4. Acerholic

@Houzi Shin Deshojo does need afternoon shade to maintain it's Spring colours. But also it does better the older it gets and the more shade you can give it, the better it will perform.
    BTW Shin means new, so Shindeshojo is an improved Deshojo, but as lot of people say there are differences , but others say it is a marketing ploy with no differences. I have both and they are different. My Deshojo photo attached taken a few days ago.
    Regarding Matt Fowler, I am sorry I do not know this reference to a new cultivar that is better. Perhaps you can remind me??

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. Houzi

Sorry,it was on the Shindeshojo cultivar thread.Mine's in full sun and has grown immensely the last two years,but it's in the ground so it's gotta stay put.Have a super day :)

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

@Houzi that is a beauty J, I can see why it has to stay where it is though. Quite a size!!!
    I know after our conversation that you wanted a longer Spring showing of the reds, but that green is wonderful and it is so healthy and happy where it is. Well done to you.
    Look forward to seeing it soon in Autumn colours ?

7. Houzi

Cheers D,Yes...been waiting years for that but have been disappointed so far.

8. Acerholic

@Houzi don't be J, it is a stunning maple. In Japan it is the greens that rule !!!

9. vbx

vbx Active Member

Amazing tree you got there. I would love to have something that large shading my yard!

My tree grows a foot or so, then dies back a foot or so. I guess it's a self pruning Japanese maple.

10. Houzi

Ha ha,understand that.In my alkaline soil,maples take 2or3 years to settle in and start growing.Shaina used to grow an inch and lose an inch at first.....now that cultivar is the king of self pruning,in winter there's hundreds of tiny dead branches on the interior.