A. p. Okushimo

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jacquot, Aug 23, 2010.

1. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just looked at the photo gallery discussion for this cultivar and wanted to ask some questions. I have one in a fairly shady place, maybe 8 years old and 3 years in the ground, that is only about 4' tall. It has developed a nice open vase shape. I am thinking of moving it, and have a place in mind where I could use an upright tree, but it is on the north side of the house. It would get more general light than now and definitely more early and late day direct sun, but if it remains a dwarf it won't serve the purpose. BTW, even when in a container in better light it grew very slowly. In the photos I saw some tall and others that looked shorter and very full. Are there observed variations for this, even dwarf? Mine has never had a hint of good fall color either, but I do like the leaf shape and maybe it will develop better characteristics with a different exposure. I'd love any comments or advice about experience with this tree.
    David

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I bought a young one last year that grew to 3' tall in the original 1 litre nursery container before it was repotted. Seems to be a strong grower with a narrowly upright vase-shaped habit. Others I have seen always have the upward pointing branches and are taller than wide.

The effect of rootstock on Japanese maple growth rates is rarely mentioned, but maybe yours was just grafted onto a slow growing rootstock? The dwarfing rootstocks used for apple trees (and other fruit trees) are a good analogy.

I also wonder whether 'Okushimo' needs slightly brighter light than most Japanese maples in order to do well, as the rolled up leaves must be partially self-shading?

3. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you. I trust my source for this one, and am going to move things around this fall. I lost the major tree, and general cover, the white oak, and will need to make adjustments. I have a better place for the Okushimo, I think. Hopefully with more sun it will show more vigor.

4. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

I had an urgent call from SHHG yesterday - a fast fading cutting of 'Okushimo' had been sent to me from RHS Wisley. It would be in relation to my three threads on A. p. 'Crippsii' (q.v.). This gave me a dilemma - which thread to post on; the photos are not worthy of the photo forum; the cutting was from an authoritative source. I am advised that one should not jump to conclusions about the correct name for 'imposter' 'Crippsii', so I chose this thread rather than my 'Misnomer - NOT A.p. 'Crippsii'' thread which discusses imposters (and where 'Okushimo' tends to crop up as a potential correct name).

The leaves in the cutting are < 40mm long, < 40mm wide, 7 lobes are common, petioles are reddish 30 - 40mm i.e. these leaves are slightly smaller than the 2005 imposter 'Crippsii' at SHHG.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      153.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      194 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg