A. p. 'Kokyo'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Jun 22, 2008.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi y'all,

Does anyone have information/experience with this cultivar? I would love to know any background information about it. I am grateful for any pictures too.

I just acquired a 'Kokyo' from my favorite source and am hungry for knowledge about it.

:) Thanks!

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

spookie, I saw info on 'Kokyo' on the Buchholz&Buchholz website which yweride
    put on this forum 2 weeks ago under the topic 'new website'.
    Very interesting history and delightful looking plant.
    I love that name 'spookie'. I went to UT in Austin from my native Boston.
    Texans are great!

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have a small one. I'll try to post some pics...

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

OK, here are a couple of pics of my very small A.p. 'Kokyo'. Pardon the fuzziness of the 2nd pic. Its now raining outside and I can't go out for a re-take!

I found a couple of descriptions:

The leaves on mine don't seem very bronze. Of course, I've had it in a pretty shady spot all summer...

Attached Files:

5. spookiejenkins

Hey Katsura! VERY cool - someone can appreciate my hometown - Austin! I do miss it and am always THRILLED to talk about it. Very weird (that's a compliment) and entertaining town. Go horns! Of course I went to UT too. And I agree, Texans can be tons o' fun - and they talk A LOT! I didn't realize that I was no exception until I moved out of my home state... Man! Am I a yapper?!!! (Even my UBC forum posts are long!) At least I smile and laugh a lot when I talk - not just ranting on to hear my own voice, or being Miss Negative Crabbyass. After moving away from Austin, I have discovered that Texans are generally jolly types with excellent manners. Dang I miss that Southern hospitality!

I can't say I know to many folks from Boston, but y'all have gotta be okay if you can deal with that oddly powerful Texas pride. :) Besides, I like that Boston accent!

The nickname 'Spookie' is one I just can't seem to shake. It has been with me for decades, so I finally just submitted and embraced it. :) Apparently, with very pale skin, light eyes and very dark hair, I have an eerie appearance. Whatever. It does make for an easy vampire costume at Halloween. :) When you were at UT, did you ever do 6th street on Halloween? Good times.

:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  6. spookiejenkins

Hi Kaitain,

Thanks so much for the info and pics! I just wasn't coming up with much in my Internet search. I always love to see other peoples baby trees anyway. :) Mine looks just like yours - except mine's a bit smaller. FYI, mine is completely green - and has been since I got it (from Sam at Eastfork). I have never seen any tinges of pink or bronze and mine is in a very sunny spot - dappled shade after about 2:00. I am assuming we'll see the pink tones in spring and on new foliage. Perhaps the bronze shows up in full sun.

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

spookie, thanks for that great message. No, I never made it to 6th on Halloween.
    Austin is a great city and UT a wonderful university, but I started at UT in 1966 - a
    long 42 years ago when Austin was much smaller, Michael Dell was in diapers and
    LBJ was president. Many pretty ladies in Texas! Go Hons and Go Spook!

8. spookiejenkins

Well Katsura - you got to see it at it's peak. Those were good years. It is amazing what has happened in the last 20; shoot, even the last 5. Its a huge, fashionable, traffic-laden city now. Lots of fancy types from California, no offense to the mellow folks from CA - y'all know what I mean... Movie stars, wannabe musicians, plastic surgeons - those whose priorities may skew toward foofoo pointless crapola. (Sorry, that's harsh, but they are messing with my town!) Much of the small town charm is gone, well, harder to find - but the do whatcha like/weirdos rule attitude still reigns!! Thank goodness! None to many Native Texans left, let alone native Austinites. It's still a gorgeous city in a park, Barton Springs is still pristine, but I don't know for how much longer. Definitely something worth fighting for - and I do. :) Thanks for letting me reminisce!