A.P. 'Burgundy Lace' unusual leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by NJACER, Oct 2, 2006.

1. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The photos below are of an A.P. Burgundy Lace I came across at a nursery this spring. When I walked by the tree I noticed an unusual coloration on one of the leaves. Upon further inspection I found that about a dozen leaves had what appeared to be variegation in them. I am not sure if this was caused by stress from shipment or if it some type of virus affecting the leaves. The darker photos are spring and the last two are later in the summer. I purchase the tree and hope that the unusual characteristic returns next spring. Any thoughts or advice on what may have caused this would be appreciated.

Ed

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Ed,
    I assume it is a grafted plant. As you say my bet is that the variegation is due to some kind of stress and logically should not reappear next spring. However I sort of notice some kind of deformation in some leaves, is that right?

Gomero

3. NJACER

Gomero,

You are correct. Some of the leaves have a curve shape or hook to them that is common on variagated cultivars.

Ed

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

To me they look as if they are turning greener & not variegated. Coloured keaves turning greenish is normally caused by lack of sunlight.

5. NJACER

The last two pictures were taken in summer on July 4 and the tree was in a shady spot. The deeper red of the typical leaves was turning green. The variegated areas remained lighter red. Most of the details of the original photos are lost when you compress the image.