A. oliverianum ssp formosanum, exposition?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Dec 18, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This tree was also called A. serrulatum (Hyata).

I'm wondering how well it will do with sun. What sort of exposition are people growing this in? (I saw from another thread that UBC has this species).

Any advice much appreciated. I won't be planting it out until spring, BTW, to avoid problems with late frosts the first year.

-E

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Emery,
    I am growing it in dappled shade. It's doing fine except for the fall colors which are dull. I would not hesitate planting it in full sun in your region.

Cheers

Gomero

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

We have a number of plants doing well in partial shade and even some in heavy shade. I suspect that plants here in Vancouver could tolerate the summer sunshine, but would probably suffer from being in the open in the winter. In the Asian Garden in UBC Botanical Garden, our shade comes mostly from tall (25m+) conifers. These provide high overhead (obviously) shade, but they also moderate wind speed and give significant protection from radiation frost. We don't generally need to worry about late spring frost in this part of the world (except when the Magnolia Society comes to visit); however, Vancouver sometimes suffers from blasts of arctic air (like this week) from December through February, when the temperature can drop to -10C, or even colder, and the sun, while low in the sky, is very bright. The frequency of these extreme cold snaps is about twice per decade.

Acer serrulatum is a fairly thin-barked tree and I'd be worried about southwest injury in midwinter. Furthermore, our autumn weather is typically wet, so I'd also be concerned about die-back of unripened shoots. And yes, our fall colour is also poor, although we have one plant that is not shaded from the south and it was almost spectacular (red and orange) this year. I would not like to take chances with any of our Taiwanese plants, including A. serrulatum, being unprotected during these times.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks guys. We also occasionally get a winter cold snap, where it can stay -8 to -12C for several weeks; with a vicious east wind blowing from Moscow (or so we say.) These periods are about as rare as you mention, Douglas. Although they are typically sunny, it doesn't seem bright enough to do much damage; the main enemy is the cold east wind. (Usually wind is wet and from the west / southwest here, which of course keeps the temps up.)

I guess if autumn ripening is a problem -- as it so often is with the warmer weather plants -- I will opt for full afternoon sun, which may help at least a little. I have a place that is well sheltered from the east and south, and reasonably dry.

Late spring frosts are more and more of a problem here, we've been having extremely warm months of February which get everyone started, and then a cold period in March. Helps the daffs last longer, but not good for much else.

Thanks for the good advice,

-E