A novice lawn question!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Keith Elliott, May 2, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A very attractive way to keep the deer at bay. The gates look perfect Keith.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Well-Known Member

Thank you. Now I have another pair of gates to hang out by the eastern deck, where Val has decided to keep a number of her potted plants. They should be done today.

3. Acerholic

You are incredibly fit Keith. I think I would be snoozing by now, Lol.

4. Keith Elliott

At the end of the day yesterday, I managed to finish the lattice on the side of the arbour. That completes that section of the build.

IMG_4965.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Very nice indeed Keith, I just hope those little rascal deer are not good at Limbo dancing. Although I wouldn't put anything past them !! Lol.

6. Keith Elliott

I don't think they can go quite that low, there's only about 6" of ground clearance there.

And with the usual summertime increase in the local population here, it looks as though the deer are staying away. We don't see them much in the summertime.

7. Acerholic

We have a lot of non native muntjac deer here in the UK. So small, they get in absolutly everywhere and have large appetites. Luckily you don't have them, Yet I believe !!!

8. Keith Elliott

Never heard of those D. Except for the newborns, all the deer here are pretty big. Not really any chance they could sneak under.

9. Keith Elliott

Arrived back home yesterday around 6 p.m. to see the two peony buds had opened alongside the lawn.

IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5006.JPG IMG_5007.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Keith Elliott

Early morning photos again, this time after several hours of rain overnight. The far end looks quite good and has always been that way compared to the rest of it.

IMG_5048.JPG

Here's "the rest of it". Note that string that I have pulled down close to the long flower bed. That's where the pathway is supposed to go. The ground there is very hard and the grass has not been doing well there at all. But it dawned on me after looking at this photo that I don't much care for straight lines in the garden. Maybe it can be disguised by adding some additional plantings on the north side of the path?

IMG_5049.JPG IMG_5050.JPG

We brought home a "Multi Blue" clematis yesterday, it was the only one I recognized as being hardy enough for this area. Only had a choice of three different names! That will go alongside the arbour on one side, and maybe one of the hop plants on the opposite side.

With a plant height of 6' to 9' it should eventually make it to the top of the arbour.

IMG_5052.JPG

Acerholic likes this.