A new look for the coral bark

Discussion in 'Maples' started by benishien, Apr 16, 2008.

1. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

I have been growing these trees for three years now and each year they are getting more and more unique. The first one I am trying to figure out exactly what color the leaves are. I want to name them although not for sale yet only something I can call them and I know I have to watch them longer before I start selling and saying I have a new cultivar, but I can not figure out what color the leaves are. I want opinions as to what you think the color is. I have three coral bark seedlings with this color and more with a splash of pink on the leaves. It must have been a good year for seedlings from the tree I collected the seed from. The first three are shots of the color I can not describe and the last three are shots of the pink variegation this is the third years for these trees and it looks like it is not only holding but getting more intense and I finaly wish to call them something.

Attached Files:

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

How about something with the word "dusky" in it for the first one - dusky red, or dusky pink?

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

pink paradise!

4. Arktrees

Arktrees Member

As for the pictures of the first tree you posted, the leaves look kind of a light milky chocolate on my monitor, with a kind of "hot pink" bark. So if that is in fact representative color, then "hot chocolate" would work.

And the GF just suggested "chocolate peppermint" for the same.

BTW, I've been to San Juan Island, and have a close friend that lives there. Nice place.