A new forum for caudiciforms and pachycaul trees?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by markinwestmich, Apr 12, 2007.

1. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Call them "fat plants", call them ugly, strange, or beautiful, but they are quite an interesting group. The problem is, unless you have a very expensive collection of dedicated text books, there really isn't that much information freely available. From what I understand, they are quite popular amongst collectors, including myself.

Would anyone, besides me, like to have a forum on this site dedicated to the discussion of these wonderful plants?

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
    • 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    • 82.jpg
      82.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Mark, looks like no one is biting (yet). I could start a trial forum, and see what happens - no guarantees that I'd keep it if it doesn't see a lot of traffic, though.

3. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Since cauduciforms are considered 'succulent' why not append it to C & S much as Indoor Plant ID is appended to Indoor Plants. I for one have several of these and am looking for more and would certainly follow the forum--Appended or not!

Bill

4. markinwestmich

I have found this interesting since many nurseries that specialize in these plants usually can't keep their stock for very long. Some of the larger, more rare specimen plants are several hundred dollars,...and they are selling. The main reason I was interested in a specific forum was that 1) I am not aware of any such forum anywhere on the internet, 2) this forum is frequented by a large population of enthusiastic "plant nuts", like myself, that often collect the rare and unusual, and 3) although many caudiciforms and pachycaul trees may have succulent characteristics, they are, in my experience, considered a distinct group.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  5. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Hey markinwestmich--I'm with you and I admire these plants for their beauty and rarity in many cases. I regret if my post seemed offensive and I apologise if that were the case. My point was that I am in favor of your suggestion. :o)

Bill

6. markinwestmich

No problem, Bill. I was mainly referring to the interesting fact that although these plants appear to be popular, the people who grow them might not be visiting this website. Perhaps, they are...and just have not found a "caudiciform and pachycaul tree" forum...it's difficult to find the reason.

I have also found it interesting that many gardeners, who have enough internet savvy and intelligence to find this website, do not know that their "Ponytail Palms", are not palms, and are, in fact, an arid climate, caudiciform plant. These poor plants often die because someone, somewhere, sometime, decided to give it this misleading common name. I could give a few more examples, ("Desert Rose", "Madegascar Palm")...the common names sometimes confuse people into thinking they should care for it one way, when in fact, it should be something quite different.

Almost off on a tangent there, but the point being, perhaps some on this site have these plants, but do not know what they have...and therefore are asking questions, in my opinion, the wrong forum.

7. markinwestmich

Thanks Daniel, but I am wondering how much work it would be to move some of these ponytail palm, madegascar palm, desert rose, etc...threads/questions to this new forum. This is relating to my previous post that I am not sure that some folks are realizing what type of plant they have and as a result, are having some difficulty with them.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Madagascar ;-)

9. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Markinwestmich, Just a couple of thoughts. The ill-informed might not even find us as they are unlikely to know "caudiciform" or "pachycaul". That would leave it on Daniel to steer more posts. I encounter this lack of knowledge on other forums as well. You are right--many dead and dying "palms" and rotted root root problems in caudiciforms seem to pop up frequently. It is usually from houseplant growers not C & S afficionados who see everything from Ornithogallum to Cycads, the caudiciform curcurbits to Pachypodium, Adenium to Ficus etc. in their references including care information. It certainly would be a forum I would click on as I have several and I love to look at and talk about them. Not to mention that there is a lot I undobtedly need to learn about them--lol!

BTW--Thanks for the pics.

Bill

10. markinwestmich

Bill, I agree. Do you think the term "Fat Plants" or "Plants/trees with swollen trunks, tubers, and stems" would capture more "hits" on the forum? I'm trying to think of a way of wording the title so as to appropriately direct the traffic. Any thoughts?

11. Michael F

I reckon if you had "Plants/trees with swollen trunks and stems", you'd get posts from people worried about diseased trees.

How about "Dracaenas, Pachypodiums, and other semi-desert plants"?

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ok, I think we can do this, based on the number of Beaucarnea postings alone. It isn't a huge effort to massmove a number of threads into a different forum - 15-20 minutes or so.

I agree that an on-target forum title would be ideal, but I can't imagine anything more succinct than what was originally posted (though it'd be ok to post a parenthetical with the title, e.g., Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees (including example A and example B))

13. markinwestmich

"Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees...Ponytail & Madagascar Palms, Desert Roses, etc."

Any other thoughts?

14. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I think that would be a good descriptive title. Madagascar Palm and Ponytail Palm will capture a large percentage of the posts. How about cycads also? I have not checked to see if there is already a forum for them but I do see periodic threads about them started on a couple of forums I watch.

Bill

Attached Files:

15. Michael F

I think we should avoid using confusing names like these - one doesn't want to encourage or promote the popular misconception that they are palms by so naming them. Better to use more helpful names in the hope that people can be educated not to treat them as palms in the future.

16. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

MichaelF,

I would totally agree if we can find a way to get box stores, nurseries, florists, reference works and web sites to go along. Many individuals in the buying public will be looking for the name they have been told when seeking answers. Just a thought.

Bill

17. markinwestmich

I agree totally from a botanical perspective. However, the reality is that a good percentage of beginning and novice gardeners will not know the proper latin names of their plants, but rather the trade/common names that were placed on the label at their local retailer. Having said that, I think that keeping the trade/common names in the title as "bait", if you will, would direct the traffic into the forum. Then, it would be the responsibility of the person replying to use the latin name and give the appropriate response. In time, most beginners and novices will learn to appreciate the usefulness of being well-versed in the latin names of their plants without coming off as pretentious.

18. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

So how about we "get 'er done?" :o)

Bill

Attached Files:

19. markinwestmich

Bill, great photos. I'll post more of mine if we can get this new forum going. Of course, if Daniel agrees, and is willing to give it all a try.

20. Daniel Mosquin

Ok, I've compromised to some extent. I've included the examples as part of the forum description instead of the forum title - we'll see how it goes.

I don't have the time today to mass move posts into this forum to "seed" it, and my next opportunity to do so will be late next week, since I'll be out of town for a few days. New posts are certainly welcome, though.

21. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

Markinwestmich and Daniel,

Thank you both for making this happen. I believe it will be a productive forum.

Daniel, I certainly won't be bothered by the wait. Hope your "out-of-town is for fun!

markinwestmich, Thanks for the complement. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your collection.

Bill

22. Daniel Mosquin

If any of you want to take a stab at my request in this thread, it'd be appreciated. I'd find it helpful for keying on specific words when looking at moving threads over to this forum.

23. Michael F

I'd agree the confusing names should be mentioned, but in quote marks or similar to indicate they are bad names, and as secondary to more suitable common names. And time for an education campaign to get the major suppliers to use better common names, too.

24. cochemiea

cochemiea Member

Hello there,
    Great to see a new forum on this branch of weird succulents. My wife and I grow a view of them including Nolina.
    You might like to see other groups on the subject. There is a Yahoo group called Fat-Plants (English) and another called caudex_franc (French). The first is quite active but the French one could use some additional active participants.
    I will browse around here for a while to see what you folks say about the plants before I add anything more.

Good growing
    Cochemiea

25. succulentlover

succulentlover Member

Hi Everyone ^^
    I can't believe I finally found a forum with an area just for these awesome plants. I've had a few kinds of caudiciforms and pachycaul trees for a while now, but just recently got a lot more. I am in the process of taking photo's of all my plants, which contain many other succulents as well. I will post some photo's of my plants shortly.

Ross