A monkey Puzzler

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Unregistered, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Hey Enthusiest,
    I recently Found 5 monkey puzzle trees in the woods near my house in northern California costal mountain range, and decided to transplant one 6 foot tall tree at 12/24/03 to closer to my house to be on display, but in the process I think i may have ripped some of the roots out. I planted it in a large hole with plenty of good soil and ammendments. Its 1/13/04 and looks healthy. I'm wondering if this plant will survive and for future referance how would be the best way to transplant the remaining ones?
    Thanks a bunch
    Riley O
    P.S how much could a healthy monkey puzzles at heights ranging from 3 feet to 9 feet be sold for?

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Riley,

The internationally accepted transplanting rule of thumb is a minimum of 11" of soil for every 1" of trunk diameter (typically measured approximately 6" above the root flare). This means that you would need a minimum of a 44" diameter rootball to adequately transplant a 4" calipered tree. The rootball only need to be deep enough to encompass the majority of roots, which is typically in the range of 12 to 16" depending upon size, maturity, and species. Most evergreen species are shallow rooters, meaning that the the depth of the ball shouldn't be a huge burden.

I personally have never move a Monkey Puzzle but the same rules should apply............but if you have a way to move more intact soil, go for it!

You said that you dug the trees with a hoe...................meaning backhoe? This will probably work fine, just keep in mind that you don't want in unintentionally crack or disturb the soil that is to remain as the ball. Cracks will lead to fine root tearing and ultimately further stressing the newly transplanted specimen.

Another rule of thumb that I was taught, is that for every inch of diameter, you must be willing to provide that many years follow up maintenance. For example, if the transplanted tree is 4" caliper, then you will have to care for that tree for the next four years. This is usually enough to allow the tree the needed time and resources required to recuperate.

T. Shane Freeman

3. greenvy

greenvy Member

I paid $42 for mine in 2008 it was (approx) 1.5 ft tall. I have attached 2 photos of them on this site but can't figure how to show them to you. Sorry

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years