A. mandshuricum requirements?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jun 26, 2006.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I've just sourced a little one of these, to go in this fall. Very exciting! :)

Since it is rather difficult to find, I'd like to give it the maximum chance. Treat as griseum, full sun and wind resistant? No particular soil requirements, apparently. Is this a pretty tough tree? Anyone have experience growing this from a small plant (40/60)?

I've checked the usual sources but didn't see anything about how much sun it likes.

Thanks. I'd hate to kill a rare one. (Not that I like killing any of them, it does happen...)

-E

2. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Emery, I have one growing in 5ltr pot, it is 5 years old and stands in the corner of my Japanese Garden, in full sun till midday, then it has shade for the rest of the day, I have had no problems with it at all, it is growing in akadama no 3 grade, which is fairly large granules, it is watered every day with rain water, and fed half strength phostrogen once a month, and is pruned once a year, towards the end of the summer, to stop all new growth and to harden it up for the coming winter,it has very long pointed buds in winter, and is one of the first to come in to leaf, also to lose its leaves, which are an unusual mauvey colour. hope this helps.

Ashizuru...

3. emery

Hello Ashizuru,

Thanks for the information. Have you found that new summer's growth has difficulty ripening in our climate (which I assume is quite similar)? Or is the pruning simply to keep it to size.

Interesting you are pot growing. My intent is to try and establish it in ground, but I wonder if a few years in a pot might not give it more strength for the experience.

Very informative about the early leaf-out, I don't think that is documented in the references. Do you have any late frost issues in your location? Also, I wonder how much growth you prune off each year. It is listed as "slow growing" but as we know there's slow and slow.

Thanks again.

-E

4. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Ashizuru-

your reply has peaked my interest as well. Are you talking about bonsai, or are you using akadama for a regular sized tree? I am thinking myself that bonsai principles are needed for trees in containers, so I am curious here.

All best,
    Schusch

5. ashizuru

Hi Emery,
    no problem with our climate, the pruning is mainly to keep it to my program for the tree, I grow mainly for bonsai, I have about 40 differrent acers all grown in containers, bonsai pots usually, although there are some in training in 5ltr plastic pots.

The oldest acer I have is 30 years old, which is A.peusdoseibolianum a delightful little cultivar.
    If there is frost forecast, I cover the trees with fleece, if the grotwh is at the tender stage.
    I have found with A.M. that it rarely has the the second flush of growth in mid summer, and I usually take it back to 2 buds, when doing my final prune.
    It is a very happy plant,yes it is a slow grower and is usually trouble free, I wish you luck with your tree.

Ashizuru...........

6. ashizuru

Hi schusch,
    Yes I grow mainly for bonsai. but I have had a love affair with Acers going back some 40 years.

I prune all my trees,and mostly are grown in akadama, although I do use a proffessional compost made by Roffeys of Bournemouth, which is suited for container growing with a ph of 6 to 7.

I find growing in containers gives me more scope to do with the tree what I want,garden design, or what ever.

I do use akadama for growing other trees in 5ltr+ pots they all thrive in it, you cant over water when you use akadama, it will hold only so much water and thats it, you can easily see when the plant needs water also. I have used it for years now. Hope this answers your question.

Ashizuru..........

7. schusch

It does. Can you tell me what size particles akadama no 3 grade represents?
    All best,
    Schusch

8. ashizuru

Hi schusch,
    grade 3 is usually about 5 to 10 mm in diameter, you must sieve it to get rid of the dust, some people, buy 2 stripe akadama and riddle it themselves to get the right size they require.

The cheapest place I know of buying akadama, outside of Japan of course, is France, around 12 euros 9kg. Hope this helps,

Ahsizuru..........

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  9. schusch

Thanks, Ahsizuru -

good info. I might look into it, and try on a couple.

I was going to ask youa clarification but forgot: do you use all akadama, or mix it with the professional compost you mention?

Schusch

10. ashizuru

Hi Schusch,
    with regard to using akadama,we mix our own compost at the nursery,which is 10%perlite,35% Irish composted peat, 40% Lithuanian light peat &15% ground pine bark, with added nutriments & a touch of lime, which brings the ph up to about 6to7.
    I have on occasion, used akadama, instead of perlite on some of the Quercus, Sorbus,& Betula trees I have, it is a matter of choice really I have had good results from both.
    The Bonsai I mainly grow in pure akadama, I do have a few pines growing in a 50% ak. & 50% irish composted peat, real black stuff, and quite acid as well. which produces good results.
    I have been experimenting this year growing some of my acer seedlings in pure ground pine bark, and they are loving it, since a February sowing they are 30 cm high already.
    I hope this answers your question Schusch, happy growing,

Ashizuru....

11. schusch

It does. Thanks.

12. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Emery, congratulations on your acquisition of Acer mandshuricum! I have been thinking about your question, and although I think that it may be fine in full sun, personally I would put this young tree in at least a somewhat shaded position for the afternoon, if I had a choice. Have you seen the photographs of this tree in the Photo Gallery? The UWBG specimen is quite healthy, and rather early in the autumn, it colors a beautiful rose-red in a semi-wooded setting.

13. emery

Thanks Laurie! Of course I will never quite believe it until I've actually received the specimen. I have indeed admired the photos of mandshuricum in the gallery. This gives me the opportunity to thank you, very sincerly, for these and all the other photos you have posted here. It's a real gift to maple lovers around the world, and I'm sure I am not alone in my appreciation...

I think the spot I have picked out will get some late afternoon shade, but it will be pretty sunny most of the time. It should however get a little respite. If need be I can set up some temporary shade while it's little.

Looking forward to this fall's new plantings already!

cheers,

-E

14. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Emery, I have been away for a while, but I would like to belatedly and most sincerely thank you for your kind words, and thank-you as well to each of you, who initially posted your appreciation. I learned about the forums last fall at the 2nd International Maple Symposium held at UBCBG, which gave me some confidence to participate. As part of an educational celebration of maples for us all, and despite having little time, I began this most time-consuming project in memory of my niece, who would have been 21-years old on October 10, 2005. She left us on June 16, 1998 while white-water rafting on the Kern River just south of some of the giant sequoias in the southern Sierra Nevada, where three of the maples native to California grow. For Branda …

15. emery

Laurie, your tribute is very moving. May it provide some solace, as it provides maple lovers with so much pleasure.

As for the light requirements of mandshuricum, since having seen some rather tatty specimens at Esveld growing under (I guess) ~ 30% shade cloth, I will be looking to shelter it a bit more than I had planned. Of course these were in pots, and everything is pretty crispy (again) this year, so hopefully in the ground there will be less of an issue.