A little rain...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jacquot, Apr 12, 2013.

1. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

We had a nice warm week, but it has been pretty dry. After a night of rain, everything popped, nothing gradual here. Nice to see spring finally arrive, even with a good cold snap following. I have to take photos quick--a yearly event. Spring maples are the best. Triflorum buds are just great, and for only a couple of days. But then the color arrives elsewhere. I like fall color, but spring maples are just great, another week or so and we'll be in the midst of it.

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

We had that same rain that moved into your area. It caused my 'Goshiki Kotohime' to push out tiny little red leaves. The cold temps are keeping the leaves very small and red, here is a picture of them finishing up their first week of growth.

Attached Files:

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

A quick shot of a tray of 1 year old grafts. This reminds me why its all worth it...

Attached Files:

4. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Just lovely JT1 and K4! It has been quite cool here too, since I posted that, and things slowed down. Soon we'll see the spring color! Can't wait... David

5. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Lovely pictures!

K4 - what cultivar is the peach-colored one in the bottom right of the photo?

6. Kaitain4

That one is 'Mizu kuguri'

7. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

K4,

Fabulous pic---- and my current wallpaper :-) What's the large-leaved lime green one lower left? And the pale yellow with red edges directly opposite on the right side?

Kevin in KC

8. Kaitain4

Thank you David, Prairiestyle and Kevin. I'm sorry to say I may have gotten this wrong to begin with. The peachy-pink cultivar at the bottom right is 'Matsu kaze'. The yellowish one with red edges in lower right is 'Mizu kuguri', and the large-leaved one at bottom left is A.j. 'Vitifolium' - one of my all time favorite Japonicums. Fall colors are stunning EVERY year! Plus the green leaf is nice too... :)

And Kevin - I'm honored that you would use my pic as your wallpaper!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  9. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ha! That pictures been the wallpaper on my phone since Tuesday too! It's the perfect accompaniment for explaining to others the diversity that can be found with these lovely trees. :-)

And no, you were right K4, my peach-colored question was directed towards the 'Mizu kuguri' - sorry, it wasn't very precisely worded.

-Christian