A. davidii 'Selection'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 5, 2006.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

Browsing around a garden center yesterday I came across an interesting maple labelled Acer davidii 'Selection'. As I find no such cultivar in the usual references, I wonder what it is. Perhaps a seed selection, i.e. unnamed?

An attractive tree, the bark is dark purple striped on green background. The leaves however are distinctly tri-lobed, and look more like rufinerve or one of the A. x conspicuums than davidii. Am I very probably seeing a hybrid?

Wasn't very expensive, I may just plonk one in somewhere and see what it becomes...

-E

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, inadequate cultivar name may even only be known locally, so far. Lobing of leaves doesn't rule out highly variable A. davidii.

3. emery

This tree is almost certainly sourced from Spain. The garden center in question only a reseller.

The leaves in question are broad and a bit squat, without the acuminate center lobe I'd have expected.

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Emery,

It is a seedling. As you know maples hybridize and by 'selection' the grower means that he has selected a few, with attractive features, out of many A; davidii plants. I got one that was extremely interesting with features close to 'Silver cardinal'.
    And I am surprised you mention Spain, I would have said Italy.

Gomero

5. emery

Hi Gomero,

There were 2 marked the same, I didn't check for grafts but assumed they were identical. Perhaps indeed they are 2 distinct seedlings. These don't have the interest of a 'Silver Cardinal' but the bark is very pretty.

These are being sold at a "Point Vert", I have looked through the catalogue and they do indeed come from Spain, can't remember the nursery off hand.

Oddly this garden center sometimes has some interesting plants, if not too much in the way of maples. On this same trip I found a Liquidambar 'Rotundilobum' that I had been about to mail order...

best,

-E

6. Gomero

Emery,

I also have a Point Vert close by and I have seen the same trees. The only problem with their trees is that the pots are somewhat small and the ones I checked were rootbound beyond any hope.

Gomero

7. emery

Gomero,

I have seen some very root bound pots at the Point Vert. I am too much of an optimist not to try sometimes, especially when the prices are low! Didn't yet check the davidii in question but thanks for reminding me, I'll certainly do that.

On another note, did I see you're growing A. pectinatum subsp forrestii 'Mozart'? Do you have a photo of it, or any advice? My source seems to be saying it will do OK in full sun...

Descriptions are in short supply though.

-E

8. Gomero

Emery,
    My `Mozart` is in shade so I cannot comment on its behaviour in sun. When I`ll be back home I`ll post some pictures.

Gomero