a curious capillipes?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Apr 29, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This year I planted as a FS A. capillipes. I have no experience with this tree, but from the various references I expected it to leaf out red. Instead, it has leafed out a surreal white-pink, with shadings of purple-red. It was difficult to photograph, the colors are not as vibrant as the real thing which lights up the view when you look at it.

I wonder if it is capillipes at all? Any one have any ideas? Those who grow it, is this how it leafs out?

-E

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

snake bark maple, is one my preferite,i have 3 cultivar,your is nice,i not see in my similar coulor leaves,however Capillipes is one "must "in aceretum...

3. emery

What are the 3 cultivars Alex? "Maples of the World" doesn't list any. I knew of one, can't remember what it is, with a Japanese name. Then there's Gimborn, is that capillipes?

But, you agree this is not how standard capillipes (the species) would look?

I'm just surprised to have received a (presumably) rare cultivar as a full standard by accident. Although it is certain that accidents happen.

-E

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Emery,

This is how my capillipes (species) looks like.

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. emery

Any guesses as to what this might be, Gomero? Do you think it is a capillipes at all? The leaf shape doesn't look the same as yours.

-E

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The description of the species says: 'The leaves, 7-12 cm long, are red when unfolding, deep green afterwards and scarlet in autumn (if not to shaded). they are heart-shaped at the base and have three or, less frequently, five, triangular lobes; the central lobe being larger and terminates with a tapering point. Margins are doubly toothed'. The Van Gelderens, in their book, say that it does not hybridize easily. But this does not mean that it never hybridizes and my guess is that you probably have a hybrid.

Gomero

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wakisaka nishiki,Honeydew,Capillipes subsp.capillipes, two cultivar and type specie ; in Galllery i posted pics.