A couple questions

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by stoneangel, Oct 8, 2007.

1. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I have email notifications sent to me. Why is it that sometimes when I click on a link I go directly to the topic and other times I have to sign in? Many times when I sign in I click the 'remember me ' box but then on the next visit I have to sign in?

Also when I was searching the forums I had to type in some numbers and letters?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm... do you ever log out when you leave the forums? This shouldn't be happening if you never use the log out button (I don't, so I only have to log in every 6 months or so, when the cookie expires)

If you're not logged in and attempt to search, then yes, an image captcha is used. This helps to defend against a denial-of-service attack on the server. If the image captcha wasn't in place, someone could write a script that sends hundreds of search queries each minute from multiple machines, bogging down or crashing the server.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If I clean my cookies out I have to re log in. I had to choose a new number the first time I did this so I wrote it down somewhere and it worked last time I had to start again.

Liz

4. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Thanks. I do log out and I do get rid of cookies when I leave firefox. I think, what I do, is log in and get carried away looking through the forums and other sites. Then I'll go back into my mailbox and click on another link to a subscribed thread while I'm still logged in. So it finally makes sense.