In The Garden: A couple of unknown interlopers....

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lorax, Jul 24, 2011.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Two plants this time. The first has come up in one of my banana pots, which makes me assume that it was in the soil that came along with the banana from Mindo, in the northern cloud forests. I was initially thinking it was just another Fabaceae thing, but decided to let it go until it flowered before judging it.

Now I'm not so sure - the flowers are like nothing I'd normally associate with that family - it appears that I've got white-petaled male flowers above the leaf petiole closest to the stem, and green-petalled female ones below towards the tip of the leaf. My fingers are in a couple of shots to give you an idea of scale. The plant isn't motile (not like some Mimosas which are common here and which it resembles - it doesn't close its leaves when touched, although it does close them at night.) There's no scent other than vaguely green when leaves are crushed.

The second is almost surely something from the Lamiaceae, but what? It's a low-growing creeping herb. Again, my hand appears for scale - it's a tiny little plant.

Attached Files:

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

#2 is Cymbalaria, used to be in Scrophulariaceae, now in Plantaginaceae.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Lorax
    No 1 is very interesting. Will be interested in its name.
    Tyrlych is correct on the 2nd. I liked it so much I brought a bit with me on my last house move
    not realyzing it grows everywhere. It's quite easy to get rid of where you don't want it - at least here! Pretty little thing. barb

4. lorax

Actually, I'd like to encourage the Cymbalaria to take over that area of the garden! Now that I know what it is, I can figure out how to make the area more hospitible to it - it's currently just growing at the base of a volunteer Calendula.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem to be very picky. It's in full sun here, in the flower beds and in the pots. Little water to regular watering. It even grows in the cracks in the cement Little 2 & 3 " cushions everywhere. barb

6. lorax

Cool, so basically all I have to do is neglect it the way I have been and it will naturally take over. Sweet....

7. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

#1 could be some sort of Phyllanthus.