9 June 2018 Dracunculus vulgaris

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Durgan, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

9 June 2018 Dracunculus vulgaris
    Posted on June 9, 2018 by Durgan
    9 June 2018 Dracunculus vulgaris9 June 2018 Dracunculus vulgaris
    This grows every year from two bulbs planted ten years ago. The vegetation disappears completely during the Summer. When the flowers first open they have a strong unpleasant odor to attract flies for pollination. The “Stink” that emanates from the flower on the day it opens smells somewhat like rotting meat and attracts flies as the chief pollinator. Luckily the odor dissipates after the first day, allowing you to enjoy the exotic beauty of this unusual plant! An ornamental cultivar. Dracunculus vulgaris is known by many names, Dragon Lily, Voodoo Lily, Stink Lily.
    017_std.jpg

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Blooming at the same time as the one I've been following here in at UBCBG. I photographed it three days ago (posted at Dracunculus vulgaris), thought it wasn't quite open. Then I saw it yesterday in the rain and it had closed up, so looked pretty much the same as the way I had seen it ten days ago. I haven't noticed any smell; now I don't know if I've missed that or it's yet to come (in which case, I will probably miss it anyway).