6 June 2019 Garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Friend that even ripens melons here in the maritime Northwest uses plastic tunnels to provide early season warmth. Also spun bond coverings can be used to exclude flying pests.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I am in the heart of corn, soy, various fruit, tobacco, various vegetables, are gown. The use of herbicides and pesticides are abundant. In my half an acre I have few insects, and tolerable weeds. Almost a silent back yard as far a insects and birds are concerned. I personally avoid the use of sprays and seldom have uncontrollable damage. Even the potato bug has disappeared as have bees and other pollinators. Earthworms have disappeared over the last two years, which I suspect beet and sugar cane juice used to de-ice the roads during winter are the destructive vector. Soon be a SILENT EARTH.

I find artificial means to control heat and insects to be difficult for a few plants, so tend to not use them. I have the experience to determine the quantity of various plants to meet my needs adequately. In fact an over abundance of most produce, also many of the fruits I can purchase so avoid growing them in some cases.

I see a few local producers are using tunnels machine dispensed but not all that common. Usually for pumpkins and such. A large quantity of tomatoes are grown basically to replace tobacco. Ginseng is also fairly common. Many largo marijuana growing green houses are appearing. Huge. I suspect they are getting out of the greenhouse tomatoes and growing marijuana.

Th backyard vegetable garden at large is almost non existent. Few people eat basic vegetables and it probably shows in the current health issues and obesity statistics. My area rivals the best growing area in Canada and I don't know anybody growing a garden. Certainly nobody preserving.