5' Potted Emerald Green Cedar Tree

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by rosieveg, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rosieveg

rosieveg Member

I bought an Emerald Green Cedar tree for xmas. I put small blue bulbs in 3 different patterns and a string of multi colored lights on it. It looked great! I have never had a potted cedar tree before. I need to know if I should re-pot it in a larger pot? Do I need food,fertilizer? How often do I water it? Should I put it on my patio where it is exposed to the weather or leave it under my patio roof protected by the weather,(large wooden screen)? I don't want to kill it! Any advice on this type of tree would be nice! :) thanks a lot Rosieveg :)

2. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

I think cedars are so hardy, it's pretty tough to make a wrong move with them :)

This site gives a little info about the watering side of things.

Do you have any photos of it with the xmas lights on? :)

3. rosieveg

rosieveg Member

Thanks for the info about my 5' Emerald Green Cedar Tree! :) Here's a picture of my XMAS tree-2009 It's the best picture I have from my phone. My son thought it was a whimpy tree! At Rona I was offered this $30. Charlie Brown tree for Xmas For the price of the Cedar tree,($15.) but bought the Cedar. I liked the look of it better the Xmas tree turned out Great,so pretty! :) By for now Rosieveg

Attached Files:

4. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

My pleasure :) I'm still learning myself but researching other people's questions is turning out to be fun and informative for me, too!

It looks very happy with the lights on! I'm a big fan of fairy lights. I keep mine up (not on a tree though, obviously) all year long...

5. rosieveg

rosieveg Member

I never thought of the lights as Fairy lights,but they do look like fairy lights! Kinda cool! Too bad you can't see the blue bulbs-3 styles. I have family in the UK right now! my niece and sister and I miss them!:( Have a great day talk soon! :) Rosieveg

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Regarding indoors / outdoors: that question would be easier to address if you shared a bit more about your location than simply "Canada". I don't think it would make it outdoors in a container through a Dawson City winter...