30 years old Cedar tree need help,thanks

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by happyhome, Aug 7, 2007.

1. happyhome

happyhome Member

we have two 30 years old cedar tree in our backyard,recently we noticed one seems already dead....we feel so sad,,,.....don'n know what's went wrong with it,i am afriad it may got some kind disease, plz take alook,and help us,thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

It certainly looks dead from here. May be attributed to a few years in a row of summer drought stress with the other three seasons bringing excess moisture conditions.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla), not a cedar (Cedrus).

Yep, definitely dead; I'd get an ISA-certified arborist in to check it for evidence of any root disease. Has there been any work done with heavy machinery around the roots?

PS the other healthy tree to the left is a Norway Spruce (Picea abies).

4. happyhome

happyhome Member

thank for the help, :)
    we went to Gardenworks today and bring some branch to them,they said the tree got Spruch Aeglid,it's bug. so do u guys have any idea how to kill it and where can we find a ISA-certified arborist? thanks alot

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I dont think there is much point to trying to eliminate spruce adelgid from a dead hemlock. Did they realize it was a hemlock and not a spruce tree? or has it been mis-idenitified here?
    To find a certified arborist try here: www.isa-arbor.com there is a link for finding an arborist, by region or location if you wish to.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Perhaps a branch from the living tree next to it was taken in - that one is a spruce of some sort. But the dead one sure looks like a hemlock to me.