Propagation: 3 year old Jade not grown at all

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by petrychris, Sep 8, 2010.

1. petrychris

petrychris Member

About 3 years ago, I took two clippings from a friend's beautiful Jade plant. I put them in water for a few weeks until roots grew and then transferred them both to the same pot. The soil mixture is about 50% coarse soil/50% sand mix.
    It was very slow going, er...growing the first year and a half, but eventually one of the sprouts started to take off. Its about 6-7 inches tall - still no lower chutes, just one main stalk with leaves. No complaints here, however....
    the other stalk hasnt done anything at all. 3 years and its stagnant. Nothing. Alive, but no growth.
    There are in a south facing window getting plenty of sunshine. I let the soil dry and them saturate/flush it, every 3 weeks. Let it dry and repeat. Occasionally adding Super Thrive and nutrient to the watering. Usually every couple months.
    Each one gets the same treatment as they are in the same pot. One is rockin and the other is nothin.
    Is there anything I can do to get my little buddy moving along?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Need to figure out why it is at an apparent standstill.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Maybe the big one is being a bully. What about taking the small one out of the pot and giving it a home of its own?