29 July 2020 Garlic (Harvest)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

29 July 2020 Garlic (Harvest)
    Posted on July 29, 2020 by Durgan
    29 July 2020 Garlic 29 July 2020 Garlic
    Havesting garlic about 100 plants. It started to rain so will get the other half later.The harvest was hung in the shed to dry further, The bulbils were placed in a container to dry.I don’t use the scapes so allow them to produce bulbils. The garlic is good quality.
    [​IMG]

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Durgan, from someone who eats a lot of garlic, that is a WOW harvest and only a half.
    We order all ours from a garlic farm on the Isle of Wight UK. You may have heard of it ? 'The Garlic Farm'. Some wonderful varieties and some very very hot; We visited for a tasting day. They have a website if you are interested.
    https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  3. Durgan

I grow fine garlic without any effort. I have tried various methods of preparing for eating without destroying the benefits.
    Apparently eating raw is the only sure method of achieving the aim.

My current method is to crush, blend into a slurry and freeze in an ice cube tray. Drop a cube in morning drink warm and ingest. It should have all the attributed benefits.

4. Acerholic

@Durgan, I will definitely be trying your ice cube tray slurry method, thanks for the tip.

5. Durgan

The Champion Juicer is used to crush the garlic. Th Juicer was given to me and I find it very useful.

14 February 2019 Garlic (Processing)
    Posted on February 14, 2019 by Durgan
    14 February 2019 Garlic 14 February 2019 Garlic
    Seven bulbs of my stored garlic were processed for daily consumption. Maximum garlic benefits are achieved by ingesting garlic crushed and raw. To make ingesting tolerable I mix the daily plug of garlic with oat milk which effectively inhibits the burning sensation. Processing consists of removing the cloves from the bulb splitting with a table knife. Each clove is crushed with a conventional tortilla press and the skin is lifted off. The skinned garlic is then put through a Champion juice to crush. The pulp and juice is then mixed together, placed in a mold for freezing. One plug is ingested daily with my morning drink. Beneficial I don’t really know.
    [​IMG]

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@Durgan, thankyou for taking the time to explain this process.

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Well, you know what they say about vampires.

My husband would probably eat it as you describe; not so sure about me.

8. Durgan

I finished pulling all the garlic from the ground. My area is in drought so the bulbs are basically cured. It is all hanging in the shed. Trimming and storing will be undertaken over the next few days. It was a good harvest. The drought is the worst seen in 20 years. The big trees leaves are starting to curl.

9. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

My garlic is still not harvested. Usually I harvest my garlic before onions, but this year it is vice versa. On July 29 I harvested onions (in the photo below there are Settons and Red Barons, I got the same amount of Sturons also).
    Garlic (between tomatillos on the right and green beans on the left) waits until onions are cured.
    20200731_163007_resized.jpg 20200731_150748_resized.jpg .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  10. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Curing my onions, I cure garlic similar ways.
    Covers are nearby to protect from occasional rain.
    20200731_151109_resized.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@Sulev, good afternoon Sulev, what a wonderful harvest and looking at the great condition of everything in photo 2, lots more to come.

12. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I had to harvest my onions because I found damage by onion fly on my Red Barons. This is my most susceptible onion variety and as I have not used any chemical treatments, I decided to harvest Settons and Sturons before onion fly attacks them too. I have to harvest garlic soon as onion fly may attack garlic also, but here it is too rainy and I have to keep half of my curing underlays for covering onions in case of sudden rain. Usually I harvest garlic after at least week without precipitation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  13. Durgan

31 July 2020 Garlic Trimming
    Garlic harvest was trimmed and placed in storage. The weigh was 25 pounds and 105 bulbs. Average bulb weight was 102 grams. A very good harvest.
    [​IMG]

Acerholic and Sulev like this.
  14. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Really nice harvest!

15. Acerholic

@Durgan, that is an impressive harvest.