28 April 2020 Tomato Support

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

28 April 2020 Tomato Support
    Posted on April 28, 2020 by Durgan
    28 April 2020 Tomato Support 28 April 2020 Tomato Support
    Tomato plant support for 21 plants. Strings are tied to the rebar structure to support fruit bearing branches.Suckers are not removed.The plant is free growing. The structure is rebar 8 feet long and tied with plastic ties. Tomatoes are used fresh for the table. Excess is made into pure pressure canned juice.
    [​IMG]

Annie Wang likes this.
  2. Annie Wang

Annie Wang New Member

Great job! They are for vine tomatoes, correct? Can I know how tall are they and what kind of poles you used? And where did you get those poles?

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The poles are eight feet long rebar from a hardware store usually Home Depot. They are half inch are now painted green to inhibit rust but I have used them plain. The uprights are hammered in the ground about 2 feet for stability about 2.5 feet apart. Each upright gets the stem of a vine tomato plant. The fruit bearing stalks are supported by a string for support. The string need not be too thick since the pull is not excessive. The rebar is tied together with plastic ties as required. I do about 21 plants. Strings are added as necessary during the growing season. I do not remove suckers so the plants are basicallye free growing. This is the best support system for a reasonably small number of plants. I have used most systems over the years. During the growing season the plants get about 6 fet tall but can be tied apart s0 height is never an issue. The issue outlay is reasonable, since the poles store easily and can be used for years. It is best to use two people to install, but I usually do it alone. I have a pipe hammer for driving the vertical rods in the ground.

T-Post Post Driver - 2 3/4" ID - 23 1/2"

[​IMG]
    ADD TO WISH LIST
    T-Post Post Driver - 2 3/4" ID - 23 1/2"