27 May 2016 Tehranivee Sweet Cherry

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Durgan, May 27, 2016.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/27%20May%202016%20Tehranivee%20Sweet%20Cherry/HTML/ 27 May 2016 Tehranivee Sweet Cherry
    This fine fruit tree grows well but must elude frost and birds particularly robins to get any harvest. The late Spring frost destroyed all fruit the last two years. And three years ago an abundant potential harvest was taken by robins. The tree is too large to physically cover economically. I am trying a plastic hawk as a deterrent this year, plus a bit of fiber glass screening. The fruit is almost as good as that from BC but not as abundant.

The cultivars Tehranivee, are self-fruitful, requiring no cross-pollination.A new mahogany coloured self fertile sweet cherry with black-red juice. Tehranivee has excellent flavor as well as size, sweetness and firmness. Bred by famed Canadian researcher Gus Tehrani, it was released in 1996, from the Vineland Ontario Station and is a cross of Van and Stella.

dsc_895727%20may%202016%20flowering%20trees_std.jpg

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Here in BC the Spotted Wing Drosophila fruit fly has become a major pest of sweet cherries and is difficult to control. I see that it has already spread to your part of Ontario; so you might want to watch for them if it looks like you are going to get a crop this year.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I am aware of the Spotted Wing Drosophila fruit fly, but have not encountered it. I have been closely monitoring the raspberries over the last three year upon awareness. It appears to be a real nasty insect.