2024 Virtual Garden Tour - welcome!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well, put all off to age-related brain farts.... I guess I'd forgotten how many different new iris varieties I planted in the fall. Turns out there are 4 new varieties in my front yard -checked my records, I scan and file the labels of bulbs and bare root perennials- and for some reason I'd forgotten those silly details. The beds in the front yard underwent major overhauls in spring and fall. One bed had a Western Red Cedar removed which required a lot of replanting in the spring and additions were made in the fall as well, and the other bed had all the bearded iris dug up, the bed was slightly raised and we planted a LOT of new spring bulbs, mostly crocus and daffodils and when I check my records there were about 45 new Iris reticulata in 4 different varieties that found their way into both beds. Serves me right for not labeling the darned things... And yes, Ron, I did see my first 'Frozen Planet' this morning, just not where I'd expected it...
    P9790843-iris-reticulata-frozenplanet.JPG P9790848-iris-reticulata-frozenplanet.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    pmurphy likes this.
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  3. Georgia Strait

Crocus update —- a tiny botanical

I like its shadow in photo

Attached Files:

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

2024 February 15 - Woodwardia fimbriata.JPG 2024 February 15 - Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heather Bun’.JPG 2024 February 15 - Vaccinium ovatum.JPG 2024 February 15 - Daphne odora ‘Zuiko Nishiki’  .JPG 2024 February 15 - Hellebore 2.JPG 2024 February 15 - Hellebore 3.JPG 2024 February 15 - Crocuses.JPG 2024 February 15 - Galanthus.JPG 2024 February 15 - Euphorbia wulfenii self-seeded.JPG 2024 February 15 - Hellebore.JPG 2024 February 15 - Rhodo 'Cilpinense'.JPG 2024 February 15 - Rhodo 'Teddy Bear'.JPG 2024 February 15 - Basil 5.JPG 2024 February 15 - Woodwardia fimbriata.JPG

Hello to my friends on this thread. I've been enjoying your winter photos and sorry not to have made any contributions so far this year myself. To tell the truth, I'm not feeling much joy in my garden anymore. There are bright spots here and there but too many former lovelies now declining or dead.

I'm not giving up yet though and will replace the disappointments with more of the same plants that have shown they can handle floods, sudden low temperatures, snow and, mainly, drought. I'll focus more on containers and alpine trough gardens too.

As for today, here are a few pictures of plants that are doing well despite everything nature has thrown at them so far.

Woodwardia fimbriata - Giant Chain Fern; an uncommon native fern said to be hardy to Zone 8/9!
    Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heather Bun’ - the cold temps have really brought out the red tones.
    Vaccinium ovatum - year-round beauty; I started them from cuttings about 12 years ago.
    Daphne odora ‘Zuiko Nishiki’ - I can't smell it yet but it won't be long.
    Euphorbia wulfenii self-seeded - I think it's wulfenii but I didn't buy it.
    Rhodo 'Cilpinense' - I'm amazed that a few sheets protected the buds of this tender rhodo from freezing.
    Rhodo 'Teddy Bear' - you can see how its indumentum gave it its name.
    Basil - 6 months old; he promises to be a good 'guarden' dog but I'm not so sure.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024 at 10:38 PM
  5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Welcome back Margot, I've missed your participation!

Margot and Georgia Strait like this.
  6. Georgia Strait

The one day at a time — though I don’t want to rush our precious time — garden tour

here we have some very interesting and long-standing snow drop bulbs

i don’t recall name — perhaps they came with the garden when I bought it

i like the green dot detail and the frilly petals that waited for months under the soil

these flowers endure snow and ice and shade and hot dry summer (they face north)

see photos pls

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Margot like this.
  7. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

GS, the snowdrop is Galanthus nivalis 'Flore Pleno'...supposedly slightly fragrant...you've got a nice stand there!