Identification: 2" Tropical Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by CiderJack, Feb 13, 2006.

1. CiderJack

CiderJack Member

My sister bought this just two days ago from our local natural foods store (Missoula, Montana). It came in a tiny little pot - I immediately put it in a larger pot, because it looks to me like it really wants to grow! The plastic tag reads:

2" Tropical Plant
    Medium light
    Keep soil evenly moist, but not soggy wet.
    55-70 F (13-21 C)

and it comes from Burnaby Lake Greenhouses, Surrey, BC, Canada.

Attached Files:

2. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

It's a begonia...one of the angel wing types most likely.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You could try e-mailing Burnaby Lake Greenhouses at gen@burlake.com to get the exact cultivar.

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I wonder if they would actually know - they supply a lot of stores around town and their plants are never properly labelled.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I understand it from a seller's point of view because of the cost and because most people don't care. My wish is for them to put up a website where all plants in their inventory are shown with their names so that those who want to know can look it up.

6. CiderJack

CiderJack Member

Wow, Ginger, excellent! After reading your response, I did a google image search for <begonia "angel wing"> and found an image at http://www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com/item2203.ctlg that sure looks like mine!

So, until someone tells me otherwise, I'm going with Angel Wing Begonia! :)

Yeah, it's understandable, but rather frustrating. I think you have an excellent idea, however! I personally believe that more needs to be done to reduce public ignorance, in addition to engendering repeat business & customer satisfaction. And thanks for the url er, email - I had tried to find their website before posting here, with no luck...

Is there perchance a good online database that is effective for IDing houseplants that anyone knows of?