Identification: 2 plants needing ID please????

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Xtragenda, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Xtragenda

Xtragenda Member

My father recently bought a small plant sold as bonsai in a grocery store but as usual the seller allways neglects to identify the plant and sells it just as bonsai. I am a bonsai artist but have not seem this plant. It may be a shrub or flower where it is native, not sure which. The stems are woody and the leaves are small and dark green. If someone could help me out on this one Id appreciate it, it is picture 1 below. The other plant is a housplant my father has. The leaves are mottled with ivory.yellowish spots, it gets a white flower and reddish orange berries that seem to get about 3/8 of an inch in diameter. Pictures are attached and again would appreciate if someone could id it. Thanks, Dana

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The second one looks like Dracaena surculosa (syn. D. godseffiana), Gold Dust Dracaena.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

First I believe is an Azalea

4. Xtragenda

Xtragenda Member

Hmmmm, the leaves seem very tiny to be an azalea. The picture because of the angle I believe doesnt give a good look at it. Are there any azalias with leaves this small? The leaves on average are only about 1/2 inch long, the picture angle and such makes them lok larger.

5. Xtragenda

Xtragenda Member

Thanks jungle

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

If it has been bonsai'd naturally or something. I've seen many varieties of Azalea and leaf size does vary. I was mainly going off the woody stem and fresh growth but I think you're right the leaves don't appear to have that 'furriness' that is on Azalea either. Could it be a Buxus?

7. sharon75

sharon75 Member

hello i would like to say your second plant on the right looks very much like a HOYA

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Flowers are wrong for a Hoya, and right for Gold Dust Draceana (D. sucurlosa).... No idea on number 1; could be a dwarfed Azalea, or could be Buxus, or something else entirely.