Identification: 2 kids under 5: need 2 plant IDs help to know if safe

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by crazydiamond, Dec 7, 2009.

1. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Member

Hello. I was given 2 plants with a few small side accent plants yesterday and I like them and want to keep them but need to know if they are safe to have around my children. I tried to ID them on the internet but do not know the terms involved. I will attach some pictures. I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide or even a direction to an easier to use way to ID these plants. The one looks kind of like a palm tree. Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like:
    1. Dracaena fragrans 'Janet Craig';
    2. Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor', Madagascar Dragon Tree.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Agree with Junglkeeper on IDs, and as for little kids, these are totally safe plants.

4. naserrano

naserrano Member

The smaller plant on the sife with many long linear leaves is a chamaedorea, most likely C. elegans

I have no idea if it is dangerous, have never heard it as being so, but you can find that online.

The third broadleaf plant we will need a better image of to identify

Hope that helps

5. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Member

Thank you very much to all of you for your time and expertise by identifying these houseplants for me!! I bought them some nice new pots and cactus soil and hopefully they will be with us for a long time : ) I really appreciate that very much. Thanks again to all of you. This is a very interesting and helpful forum.