Identification: 2 Easy plant identifcations

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by canis11, Dec 6, 2009.

1. canis11

canis11 Member

Fairly new to house-planting, but am loving it and want to learn as much as I can. Step 1, I've identified my 13 other house plants, but having trouble with these two. Would very much appreciate some thoughts!

1) Pretty sure this one is some kind of Codiaeum spp., but I can't figure out which one, or if it's in that genus for sure.

2) A little green foliage plant that I've had for a while. I think it's fairly common, but it's a tough one to identify for me because it's basically just green with standard leaves.

Thanks everyone for your help (and apologies for the crummy pictures, only have the webcam here today!)..

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The vein structure of the second indicates it is likely a Spathiphyllum, commonly called a "Peace Lily". You should be aware there are many species in this genus and not all the leaves look the same. This does look like the most commonly sold form.

This may help:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=57259

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. canis11

canis11 Member

I believe you are right. Thank you for the link! Fabulous information; I will begin heeding it immediately! What fun.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The first one will be one of the cultivars of Codiaeum variegatum - it's quite rare to find species Codiaeum sold for houseplants.