150foot W.R. Cedar dying?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by hyampom, Sep 4, 2009.

1. hyampom

hyampom Member

First thanks for this forum being here.

Second, I would have posted a picture, but I am having camera problems.

We live surrounded by national forest, and there is a creek running almost directly over this Cedar roots (We thought thats why it was doing so well)

This year, it turned brown, not completely yet, but 85-95% of it is getting that way. We have other Cedars in the vicinity, but none the water is on so much. We can reroute the stream to its original path (it moved itself over years) if its "too much" water problem. This is a gorgeous tree and we are devastated by its condition.

Any help would be great.

We live in Hyampom, California.

Best regards,
    Bernie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

We had a dry May up here this year, maybe your tree has been impacted by drought. Without viewing the site and examining the tree one can only guess.

3. hyampom

hyampom Member

There is a creek right next to it and the water basically runs over the roots. It's right at a curve in the creek. There are many other same type cedars in the area, all are doing great. In fact I was admiring one this morning, which is what led me to find the other one, because it was the largest. I was wondering why it was not standing out. Then I saw it. Unfortunately the way I live (work,work,work) I didn't not notice it happening until it has reached this point.

I am going to work on getting a picture. The battery died in camera and cannot find charger! I was envisioning all the "get a picture posts" but I had to type something in because I feel pretty helpless and this is a massive tree I'd gladly pay a million to save (if I had it). Will keep working here. Thanks for the reply

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If nearly all brown probably already a loss.