15 June 2020 Rototilling with electric tiller.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

15 June 2020 Rototilling with electric tiller.
    Posted on June 15, 2020 by Durgan
    15 June 2020 Rototilling 15 June 2020 Rototilling
    This area will be fallow this year. It was rototilled with my corded tiller. The tiller rotates faster than the small engine type and shreds the weeds to almost a powder. I will mulch the bed and use it for growing garlic next year.The tiller is a marvel and the is no hassel starting it.
    [​IMG]

2. Durgan

16 June 2020 Mulching fallow
    16 June 2020 Mulching fallow 16 June 2020 Mulching fallow
    Bare ground not being used was mulched with wood chips. It will be planted with garlic in October. The ground had a sprinkling of Urea, nitrogen, and covered with wood chips. My view is bare ground is dead ground.
    [​IMG]

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The tiller rotates faster than the small engine type and shreds the weeds to almost a powder.

Which means it is also turning your soil into a powder. This is not a desirable outcome.

4. Durgan

I probably exaggerated a bit. I consider the result tilling texture to be perfect. It is well made and less than $200.00' Ideal for backyard gardens.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I suspect that rototilling is not good for the resident earthworms, but I realize that hand tilling is not practical for a large garden.

6. Durgan

Earthworms are all gone in Brantford and large parts of Ontario. Sugar beet and cane liquid is sprayed on the roads in Winter ad it is a deadly poison to earthworms. Apparently it melts ice around minus 10C.All the roads in Ontario are sprayed. Kills earthworms. It is better than DDT.

The sidewalks use to be almost covered after a rain. Now not even one. The robins migrate to this area in Spring and this year they are few and very thin due to no worms. Also no other insects. My extensive garden is now a true Silent Spring.

I have written to various government departments. And received a form letter not addressing the problem.

Oh Canada, the strong and the free.

Sundrop and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I hear you @Durgan, don't give up with the letters, also consider your local member of parliament. It is not acceptable to be ignored where the environment is concerned.
    My wife and I have written many letters to our council over the years about grass verges being cut, removing wild native flowers. Now at last they are listening and the bees and insects are very gradually returning.
    It can be a long process, but worth it for nature and our grandchildren etc etc etc.
    Good luck to you.
    D

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Durgan , I know this thread is about tilling the soil, but I wanted to show you a photo of a grass verge near me today after your comments about chemical usage by your council. It's not a neat bowling green appearance but now so natural, IMO it's lovely. Plenty of Robins, Blackbirds and Wrens to be seen also.

D

PS Good luck with the Garlic btw. You should have a fantastic crop there.

Attached Files:

9. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

No-till gardening is another possibility.

10. Durgan

Any soil I have had in various locations in Canada, without tilling one would not be able to grow anything due to hard packed soil. Therefore for practical concerns I consider no till to be at most a pipe dream for any meaningful crop growing.

11. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for your bad experience. It could be difficult to say what you did wrong without knowing what exactly was your approach and what was done to the soil by the previous users.