13 September 2019 Tempeh Chickpea

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

13 September 2019 Tempeh Chickpea
    Posted on September 13, 2019 by Durgan
    13 September 2019 Tempeh Chickpea 13 September 2019 Tempeh Chickpea
    Chickpea tempeh was prepared for fermentation. Picture depict the procedure. Wash, dehull, cook, acidity, mix starter, place in cotton lined mold, place in fermenter set at 31C for 36 hours. Another picture will be added at end of fermentation.
    dsc_3049_std.jpg

2. Durgan

Chickpe tempeh fermenting.
    15 September 2019 Chickpea Fermenting 15 September 2019 Chickpea Fermenting
    Chickpea tempeh has been fermenting about 40 hours. It will be left for about another 24 hours to insure a deep ferment. It is slower to ferment than soy tempeh by about half.
    dsc_3074_std.jpg

3. Durgan

Chickpea batch is finished processing.
    16 September 2019 Chickpea Tempeh 16 September 2019 Chickpea Tempeh
    This is after about 50 hours fermenting. It is important to mix the starter carefully to touch each pea, since they are so large the mycelium fibers cannot cross the gaps in some cases. Hence some areas do not gt the benefit of the mycelium.
    dsc_3087_std.jpg

4. BrandonKieft

BrandonKieft New Member

That's awesome!! I'm also making tempeh at home and have had variable success. Where do you get your spores? I bought some from Cultures for Health that made great tempeh; since they're expensive, however, I let one of my cakes go a bit long and allowed it to spore, then dried it in my dehydrator and ground it up with a coffee grinder and used that to inoculate my next batch. It worked great! Then I saved spores from this "second generation", but using those I was fermenting at 30C for 3 days and only got weak growth and my batch spoiled before the fungus could take over. I guess it could be variability in my spore counts (I just inoculated with a couple spoonfuls of my dried powder). Any words of advice?

5. Durgan

Tempeh Starter Raprima. (Rhizopus Oligosporus ) 5 bags 2.5 Kg., TempehStarter.com / IndoPal I got 2 kilo from Indonesia about 2 years ago. I keep it in plastic, sealed containers in the refrigerator. It is perfect and most economical.

I used Cultures for Earth starter, but they are ripping people off,too expensive. I tried making starter, It worked OK, but the odd failure. Never had a failure from Indonesia starter.

Then I worked on producing good tempeh from different stock. I have now settled on Soy, Chickpea and Lentil, mostly the first two. I buy soy, lentil, and chickpea in volume, so the tempeh is dirt cheap. I eat for breakfast about 100 grams daily, even my little dog gets a chunk. I eat usually as is, raw so to speak.

I got some old folk on some forum all making tempeh. They got tired of their eggplant body shape.

Personally I consider it a wonder food.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  6. BrandonKieft

BrandonKieft New Member

So you just buy the starter online and have it shipped in from Indonesia?

7. Durgan

I ordered and used a credit card as if it was in NA. It was no problem at all. just the same as from ordering anywhere online.