12 year old queen

Discussion in 'Maples' started by shnphan, May 29, 2011.

1. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

So in light of me planting the last tree too deep I have checked my others for the root flare . This Crimson queen is 12 years old . It was buried in an area with a lot of stones . It has thrived in my opinion . I have uncovered the trunk down 9" of rock and clay . Actually top 2" are mulch . It does not look rotted or girdled and I have not hit the root flare yet . Should I leave well enough alone and refill hole or should I find the flare and dig out a good portion around it . Raising it would be quite the chore as the stones go down 2 plus feet in clay . This forum has been so informative and helpful for me in the past. It has fueled this addiction . Oh yes , this is a high graft It is a foot and a half above the soil line . Injoy Memorial Day .

Attached Files:

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

If I had a tree that was 12 years old and doing well I would leave it alone
    Whilst it is not generally recommended to plant a tree too deeply I have known trees survive quite comfortably with soil well up the trunk
    Just goes to show that there are exceptions to every rule ....

3. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

That's exactly what I needed to hear . Thank you once again .

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Although the conditions down the hole look a bit dire, I have to say I agree vociferously with Sam. Establishing these trees can be such a pain in the horse, and mysterious too as to exactly who will thrive. Once I have a tree that's doing well I don't ever dare to mess with it!

-E

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>Just goes to show that there are exceptions to every rule<

As always, it depends on the particular details of each situation. While Japanese maple will not be one of them some kinds of trees are from bottomlands in nature, adapted to floods suddenly laying down a new layer of soil over their roots. Such kinds may be much more forgiving in cultivated settings than others.

6. shnphan

shnphan Active Member

So I refilled with the same fill I took out " clay and smooth pebbles ". I only guess it was because the stone is large 1" to allow quick drainage . Because it is moist clay in there .I don't understand why there is no rot . Fingers crossed . Learning a lot this year .