1 Year Grafts - When To Cut the Understock

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Trudi, May 10, 2007.

1. Trudi

Trudi Member

I've read through a number of posts about grafts and haven't found the answer to my questions, if I missed it please feel free to point the way.

I'm trying my hand with some younger JM. I bought 4 different - 1 Year grafts. I've attached the pictures. (Pixie, Shaina, Baby Lace, Peaches & Cream)

The understock is still there - what do I do with it? Cut it off in the fall or now? How in the world do you cut that off? I read that you should use a fungicide when you cut the tree, is that true? Any recommended brands? How do you stake the tree so that it grows straight when the new trunk comes off at an angle?

Side question - I will plant this weekend, after reading all of the forum posts and being only slightly sure I understood I'm using Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil (turface) and Schultz Potting Bark & Decorative Soil Cover (fir bark). Does that sound ok?

I goofed up my first JM, I want to do everything right this time. As always your time and expertise is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I want to thank you so much for that slide show! That is just what I needed. I have been wanting to try grafting for awhile now, but just couldn't quite figure out the cuts and all. I really think I can figure it out now.
    Kay Dye