Alpine Garden: Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan Sugi'

Discussion in 'Photographs' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

UBC Accession #11639-0138-1975
    Section: Asia
    Photo by Daniel Mosquin
    August 19, 2004
    (Canon 300D)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. Botann

Botann Member

Has that been sheared to the point of almost being unrecognizable?! I guess it has been to conform with an Alpine garden scene. Left alone, it would grow very fast in your climate and look very different.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think I've ever seen the horticulturists pruning these, but I'll ask when the curator returns from vacation.

4. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I agree that this looks nothing like the specimens I've seen in nurseries or like the one in my own garden.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cypress family conifers can have close growth habits in some areas that they do not have in others, very commonly planted Leyland cypress shows this well. Same cultivars can be tight and columnar or open and spreading, depending on where planted. Photos used on picture labels and nursery signs may show tight habit, while stock offered often has open growth.

6. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

What strikes me the most about the photo is the tight globe shape of this particular specimen compared to the very pyramidal form (whether tight or loose) of most that I've seen, though most of these have been younger plants. The difference is striking enough that I wouldn't think that the plant in the photo could be the same. It will be interesting to see if my plant develops this more globular form as it matures.

7. Brent A. Hine

Brent A. Hine Active Member 10 Years

Hello, I work as the curator of the alpine garden with the Cryptomeria pic. I don't believe that it's ever been pruned to shape it but has grown naturally since it was planted many years ago.

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is also Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan Sugi', from the same year, but it seems to be a different specimen.
    20100824_UBCBG_CryptomeriaJaponica_Cutler_P1040178.jpg 20100824_UBCBG_CryptomeriaJaponica_Cutler_P1040179.jpg 20100824_UBCBG_CryptomeriaJaponica_Cutler_P1040182.jpg

I wonder if this is the same specimen that was originally posted. I wasn't able to find the label.
    20100824_UBCBG_CryptomeriaJaponica_Cutler_P1040192.jpg 20100824_UBCBG_CryptomeriaJaponica_Cutler_P1040193.jpg