Tomatoe Plants Grown In Pots

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by jaserell, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jaserell

jaserell Member

I had to grow my tomatoes in pots on my deck because of my live in hungry groundhog.
    One is a Big Boy and the other Low Acid. I have them in water control soil which also has food and the pots are big. They have lots of leaves and the tomatoes are big but they're taking their time turning red even being in full sun. Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

The first tomatos always seem to take forever to change colour, then there are too many coming ripe all at once. Based on my experience, what you are seeing is normal regardless of pot or garden culture. The 'problem' may be aggravated by the tomato plants being in a highly visible location.

3. jaserell

jaserell Member

should I move them to another spot on the deck? right now they're out in front

4. jaserell

jaserell Member

or are you joking

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Yes, joking....the best analogy is to watch paint dry :-).

But seriously, the first tomatos to ripen on an individual plant do seem to take an awfully long time but once over that, things progress quickly.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  6. jaserell

jaserell Member

seems like I've been waiting a life time this year. Last year was alot faster. Thanx! you made me giggle