Potting up my Desert Rose

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by chirita, Jul 21, 2007.

1. chirita

chirita Active Member

My Desert Rose is thriving and has just burst into bloom. It is also bursting out of it's pot. There is only about 1/4 inch of soil around the swollen base of the plant. I keep thinking that I should repot it but it looks so healthy I'm afraid to do anything . Can I leave it alone until it breaks the pot and then I'll be forced to have to repot it? Also what sort of soil would it like? Would a regular cactus mix be OK?

2. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Just leave it. It will give you flowers even if it is confined into a small pot like I have. You seen, I am training mine into a bonsai and it is happy as it is. I do not think it will break the pot.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.highlandsucculents.com/culture_guide.htm

Your "Desert Rose" is a caudiciform plant. We have a forum for this. Feel free to check it out. The above link will help you with your questions. We also have culture guides from two other specialty nurseries so you can see the similarities and differences in approaches to cultivation of these wonderful plants.

Mark

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to caudiciform forum)