What is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ces594, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ces594

ces594 Member

Plant.jpg

This is in the back yard of our new home. I have ready and been told that many kinds of berry's are poisonous. They are green in color and don't seem to be getting any bigger than a dime. It is growning on a vine like stem and there is a bunch of it on the side of the house growing in a huge plastic container, over 50 lbs of dirt. Want to know if it is safe to have around, I have 20 month old daughter who loves to be outside and explore the area.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

For a fleeting moment I thought maybe Hoya (leaves what I can see of them) but I don't know what a seed looks like from them. Maybe a pic of the plant might make things easier for id.

Liz

3. ces594

ces594 Member

Thanks Liz. This is the only picture that I have, my partner pulled them out since we didn't know what they were. I wanted to know incase they grew back. Seemed like the previous owners were growing them so not sure if it is a fruit of some kind or an accident. The yard was not maintained.

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Could be Asparagus asparagoides.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Not snowberry, I suppose? Your climate has all sorts of possibilities I know nothing about. Twenty-month old kids, however, I do know a bit about, and while they are certainly not reliable to be let loose unsupervised, they can be taught to never eat anything in the garden without first asking mom.

6. ces594

ces594 Member

Thanks Troy! That is exactly what it is. Funny cause the pictures I found are from Maui, HI and me and the family were just thinking about go back for another vacation.