Identification: What is this beautiful flower!?!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by maryweather, Jul 18, 2007.

1. maryweather

maryweather Member

My mother has had this plant for at least 10 years now and it has bloomed only twice. The first time was about 2-3 years ago. It only has one flower, and it stems off of a leaf. It's quite large and the petals are soft and feathery. And it smells beautiful.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably an Epiphyllum species or hybrid; a photo of the stems/foliage would help confirm this.

3. maryweather

maryweather Member

This is the only other picture I have. The plant/vine itself is pretty big (at least 15 ft+).

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Or other cactus with nocturnal flowers. There are many. However, a common one asked about frequently is Epiphyllum oxypetalum. One of its common names is gooseneck cactus, referring to the bent floral tube which second photo appears to show.

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

If it's a "vine" of over 15 ft as you say, there are 2 likely candidates among commonly grown cacti. First is Selenicereus grandiflorus with rope-like stems; but that has flowers with hairy floral tube, so I think it can be ruled out. The other is Hylocereus undatus, which has jointed 3-angled stems, climbing by aerial roots. The one bit of cactus stem I can see in your pic is reasonably consistent with that.